The 101 Best Sandwiches in New York

June 2nd, 2010

Last night Billy was flipping through this week’s issue of New York Magazine that had just arrived, when he let out a gasp. He turned the magazine around to me, eyes wide, to a page titled “The 101 Best Sandwiches in New York.” Naturally I gasped back. And you know what? We’ve only had the pleasure of eating maybe five of those sandwiches. We have a lot of work ahead of us, folks. Don’t read the list if you’re hungry, trust me.

25 Responses to “The 101 Best Sandwiches in New York”

1. lamia Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 11:14 am

yummy!!! that looks really delicous!!! I’m starving right now!!!
    xoxo
    lamia

2. jamie Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 11:41 am

STOP MAKING ME WANT TO MOVE TO NEW YORK.

I dream about arepas from caracas.

3. cupcakes and cashmere Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 12:06 pm

such perfect timing seeing as how i’m coming to new york next week! i’m so excited to dive into this list (and will attempt to recreate those i don’t get around to trying at home).

4. Runway Hippie Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I SAW THIS. I have so much eating to do it’s not even funny. I just love a good sandwich.

xo,
    Sonia

5. That's What She Said Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 12:29 pm

This list makes the take-out Mexican food I just ordered pale in comparison.

Literally. It looks a little grey-ish to me now.

Darn you, New York. Darn you and your delicious food!

6. Sarah Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 12:53 pm

The scuttlebutt from Salite (pictured top left & #7 on the list) is my new all-time favorite sandwich, and I feel so lucky to live close within walking distance of it. Definitely a must-try. I couldn’t believe how many I haven’t had either, but I’m excited to change that!

7. Millo Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 4:56 pm

they all looks sooooo good and tasty!

8. annie Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 5:57 pm

san francisco magazine did a feature on the best of sandwiches in a sf a month ago and i just about died and went to heaven – if you ever find yourself in the bay area every single one on the list is worth checking out

9. evencleveland Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 7:10 pm

As soon as I saw that article, it became my life goal to try every single one.

I think I am going to need to start doing some extra cardio.

10. Lauren E. Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 8:43 pm

If you haven’t had the egg sandwich at Egg in Williamsburg yet, GO RIGHT NOW DROP EVERYTHING AND GO! The minute I was finished, I wanted another one. It’s #26 on NYMag’s list and I gasped myself when I saw it. So dreamy.

11. Old Man Steinman Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 9:25 pm

We expect to enjoy at least three of these beauties when we come to NYC for the show in October.
    OMS

12. Jenny Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Ooh, this is very dangerous…

13. Post-College Working Girl Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Wow, that looks ah-mazing. I’m so happy/sorry that I just read that before bed….now I must go raid the fridge…

14. Jennifer Says:

June 2nd, 2010 at 11:45 pm

You warned us, and now I am really craving a great sandwich. I’m amazed and a bit ashamed to say that I’ve not had much on this list, being from the NY area. I really, really want a crusty, chewy bagel with whitefish right now!

15. hannah Says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 12:01 am

i read it, and i wasn’t hungry. i am now. keep us updated on your progress!

16. aron Says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 1:17 am

i dont even need to check if that top right photo is Bale. i love vietnamese/french cuisine so much!!! i have been eating those sandwiches since i was a child!! <3

17. Hadley Says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 2:00 am

you could hear my gasp all the way across town. had one look at the pulled pork sandwich at dickson’s farmstand meats, and i knew i had to have them all. (and that was only #92!)

18. Kent Tan Says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 6:22 am

Wow, the sandwiches look awesome. Subway sandwiches look pale in comparison ;)

19. Jen Says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 7:23 am

I wish I lived in NY :(

20. allison Says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 1:37 pm

i always get my NYmag a week behind i think…so i cannnnnot WAIT to flip through this sandwich spread! VIVA LA SANDWICH! ♥

21. Googlover Says:

June 3rd, 2010 at 3:05 pm

You have my heart. I love sandwiches. This makes me hungry, indeed!

22. olivia rae Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 6:45 am

my boyfriend hadn’t eaten meat in two years, until we went to an organic delicatassen in brooklyn the other day and he got a pastrami sandwich. said it was the best thing he has ever had. new york is the best.

23. Lacey in the City Says:

June 7th, 2010 at 2:23 pm

These sandwiches look DELISH! Thanks for the heads up on this article!

24. Fenya Says:

June 10th, 2010 at 11:17 am

For sure: there is nothing better. If you’re coming to Chile, try our sánguches too.

25. Rory Hemmen Says:

June 19th, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Ta for writing this, I was looking all over for something similar, though this is just as helpful.