Last night I made what I consider to be The Best Recipe Of The Entire Summer. Great timing with summer coming to an end in just a few days, I know, but this perfect perfect (PERFECT!) 75 and sunny weather makes me actually want to cook up summer food. I came across this recipe for a fun spin on the traditional chicken salad recipe on GOOP (don’t judge, the food and heath stuff is great, I just ignore the insufferable shopping and travel rec’s) and knew I had to try it because it sounded so simple and made of everything I love. And I was right. It’s so delicious I want to shout the recipe from the rooftops. Stop people on the street and shake their shoulders, shouting: “YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS RECIPE!!” I think you could even make a vegan version with tofu (baked?) and veganaise and it would still be pretty delicious. I served it open-face on top of crusty sourdough bread, with corn on the cob and a peach, plum and cantaloupe salad with a dash of honey, and a SNAP dark ‘n stormy, of course. Heaven.
Chicken Salad (from GOOP)
* 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (poached or roasted is good, incidentally this is great recipe for leftovers) (kate: I pan-cooked strips of chicken breast)
* 1 large stalk celery, cut into 1/4” dice
* 1/2 green apple, peeled and cut into 1/4” dice
* 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped (kate: we didn’t have any so I skipped it, which still turned out great)
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 2 scallions, thinly sliced
* 2 handfuls arugula, roughly chopped (kate: I used mâche as that’s what we had)
* 1/2 cup Veganaise, or your favorite mayonnaise (kate: I used regular ol’ mayo)
* 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
* coarse salt to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
* freshly ground black pepper to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
Stir everything together.