The year ahead

a toast

I wrote a ridiculously long and detailed post about what my new year’s resolution was over the past week, complete with references to motivational posters with people holding their hands outstretched in front of sunsets, and decided today that just the act of writing it, not sharing it, was all I needed. It helped me flush out what I wanted to achieve, and why on earth I’d come to the decision in the first place. It got way too personal, so I decided to re-write this to be a little simpler.

Due to such a significant change in my life, there is no better time than the present to break bad habits and start new routines. William and I have starting getting up earlier, with the goal to seize the mothereffing day (and stop watching so much damn TV before bed). We’re eating better. Soon we will start running again. Baby steps.

My own personal goals for the year (which are all directly related) are to handle criticism, critique, and lessons better. Be less sensitive. Take action more.

Last year I resolved to be less negative, and I actually took it really seriously and feel like I was pretty successful. So, now I’m a believer in these types of mindset goals. Heather mentioned that her yoga teacher told her to “figure out what you need to do to nourish yourself” this year. While some may interpret that as being a little hippie dippy, I think it’s a simple, wonderful thing to keep in mind in the new year.

Let’s charge ahead into the new year, friends, arms outstretched. Or soaring on a hang glider, whichever you prefer.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! Tomorrow marks two weeks of living here. It’s starting to sink in that I’m living here and not on vacation!

Comments

I am loving all of the new-year-new-intention posts around the blogosphere, but this is really great. Just the idea of a new mindset as opposed to simple tasks that you hope to make a habit. It’s my belief, that with a mindset that makes you feel the way you want to and think the way you want to, you’ll do the things you want to, too!
    Keep being cool, Kate.

Two posts in a row? My Friday’s getting better already. I’m moving to LA as well– leaving tomorrow– and I think it’s a great time to make some changes and set new goals (aside from all the new year’s stuff). Love your thoughts.. thanks for sharing!

Happy New Year! i’m with you on the need to write/process resolutions – moreso than share them. but i love your simplified mindset goals. and i’m LOVING your photos from LA. makes me very nostalgic for my not-so-long-ago life there. enjoy that winter sunshine!

Love this post. Funny and to the point. Hope you guys have had a great start to your new year so far. Although from the photo it looks like it:) Welcome to LA!

I just want to say this statement on your blog “please note that I DO NOT offer advertising spots, and that includes paid text links anywhere!”… really, and totally made me respect you to the tenth power!

Much luck, and happiness in the next chapter of both your lives.

It’s amazing how a small thing like getting up earlier can make such a big impact on the day. My husband and I have been getting up earlier too and it makes the day feel so much better.

7. Jo says

Kate, you are a constant insiration and I am so pleased you are starting to settle in. I have just moved away from the city I love to the coast and while it’s beautiful I am struggling to get over my lost love (London). Your words inspire me and while I sit here with a tear in my eye, I believe optimism can help no end. I just need to regain my own optimism, shake off these blues and seize the day… THANK YOU!

I’ve been loving your posts lately. I think we all enjoy following along with you in your life and picking out the things we can totally relate to in ours.

On another note – I used to always think resolutions were nonsense but this year I’m completely embracing the idea. I like to call my resolutions ‘goals’ though. :) I’m on a big ‘goals’ kick, since I never made ANY growing up.

hello kate!!! i was so happy to find your blog about two weeks ago, and get back here and read all these adventures! first i wish you all the luck for you! second i love road trips so i loved the fact that you drove to los angeles! third, i live in lisbon, a pretty sunny city too, but am a huge lover of new york, so i think that i would need some time too to adjust myself to los angeles… so, i will be following this amazing blog, to see how it goes for you both! oh forth, the studio is really amazing! :) lucky you! hugs, twiggs

kate, i too handle criticism badly (see me learning how to drive a stick shift with boyfriend in tow. not pretty) i love your resolution ideas and can’t wait to read more about your west coast adventures!

I agree, i think mindset new year goals are a really good idea…people should sit back and reflect on what works and doesnt work in their lives more often..

-www.catch13.blogspot.com

New Years is always so exciting, and yours falling so close to such a big move is even better. Bravo Kate,you go on with your awesome self. xo