Now and then I get emails/comments asking me about what beauty products I use, and I’ve been crafting this post for ages. While this may seem like an off-topic post for my usual thing on this blog, I’ll have you know: I’m not much of a girly girl, but I am a beauty product addict. This post was really fun to put together, albeit time consuming. I wanted to keep it simple, but I feel it’s necessary to explain the products I use.
I’m not a big beauty blog reader (I’d love to hear about your favorites, I find most of them annoying!), but I love Into The Gloss, and Andrea got me hooked on Lisa Eldridge, a makeup artist who has these incredibly informative video tutorials on makeup. I could watch them all day (her soothing British accept helps, I think). For the longest time I was a drugstore makeup girl, but after college Andrea introduced me to M.A.C, and I instantly saw the benefit of saving up for the good stuff. When I’m low on cash I usually go for L’Oréal or Revlon.
So, let’s start with what I use every single day. I’m pretty low-maintenance, and try to keep things as natural as possible without looking too bare. I usually do my makeup relatively the same every day – but on the weekends I often skip eyeliner, and when going out at night I’ll make my eyes more dramatic.
1. M.A.C Blot Powder – I have oily skin, so this just absorbs oil and mattifies with barely any color.
2. M.A.C Select Moisturecover – My absolute favorite concealer – I use this just on my t-zone, sparingly, to even out color.
3. Boscia – This isn’t makeup, but is worth mentioning as it’s crucial to my beauty routine. I have acne-prone skin and have tried every product under the sun since I was a teenager. Less than a year ago I discovered Boscia – which is totally preservative-free, botanically-based and doesn’t use any of the chemicals I always thought were necessary to take care of acne. It’s incredible, nothing has worked this well for me. I started with this kit and then ended up buying the full-size versions of all of them.
4. M.A.C eyeshadow – Huge range of colors, long lasting. Sometimes I use the Sephora brand, sometimes Revlon, but I prefer M.A.C if I can afford it. My favorite is Motif – a peachy color that’s kind of opal-like.
5. Sephora Retractable Eyeliner – I’m a fan of retractable eyeliner because I hate sharpening pencils, and I love the little sponge on the other end to make lines softer. I like black and matte charcoal.
6. Benetint – My favorite cheek stain, hands down. Perfect flushed-cheek color.
7. Eyelash curler – A lot of people are afraid of them, but I use it every single day as my lashes are not that full. Don’t be scared! I’m not picky about the brand, but usually buy the cheap Revlon kind at the drugstore.
8. BADgal Lash - The absolute best mascara. A few months ago I got a free sample of the plum color, and though I was skeptical of putting colored mascara on my lashes, it’s the best. You’d think it would be good for a night out, but it’s actually good for when you make you eyes up really simple – it makes the color of your eyes pop and the plum color isn’t super noticeable.
9. Clinique Airbrush Concealer – A fairly recent find, it’s already a favorite product of mine I use every day. I only use it under my eyes and on spot breakouts – it’s somehow magical and doesn’t crease, it’s very light but zaps away darkness.
1. Josie Maran Magic Marker – It’s funny putting this on here because I JUST bought it this week, but I’m so obsessed with it, it’s definitely going to be something I use often. Lipstains are hard for me to wear usually because my lips are so dry, but something is different about this one – the color is super intense, and Jive is an amazing shade of fluorescent coral. They aren’t kidding when they call it stain – be careful!
2. M.A.C Matte Lipstick in Ruby Woo – A perfect vintage red for a dramatic look. This stuff is pretty incredible and super intense – the trick is to only wear mascara on your eyes to not look like a clown. It’s pretty long lasting, but it does require some touch-up if you’re going to wear it all day. I recommend using a lip liner pencil with it, otherwise it’s difficult to put on straight, especially after it wears down a bit.
3. Nailpolish – I have a hilariously large nail polish collection, but my favorite brands are Essie and RGB for their color selection and being the most chip resistant. Playa Del Platinum is my favorite Essie color. Toast is my favorite RGB color.
4. Sephora Nano Liner - Sometimes a fun eyeliner color is in order for a night out, and I like these little Sephora liners. They’re cheap, too. The silver green color is really nice, doesn’t scream “Hello, I’m going out clubbing in my metallic eyeliner”.
5. M.A.C Studio Fix – When I need a little more coverage this foundation and powder combo is my go-to. I’ve been using it more often lately now that I’m in a more corporate office under harsh fluorescent lights. I usually just dust a little on my t-zone as covering up my freckles on my cheek bones looks weird.
Now, I didn’t cover hair here because I don’t use anything exciting. I buy whatever grabs my eye at the drug store, and I don’t use any product. Somehow I’m obsessed with makeup but could not care less about hair products. Sometimes I use argan oil to smooth out fly-aways, but only because I bought it for my skin and it made me break out, so I found another use for it!
Thanks for reading the longest post in the universe, guys. Please share your favorites, I’d love to hear about them!