Home, continued

April 1st, 2011

early morning beach
photo by me, an outtake from a little project I’ll share soon

I don’t quite know where to start with thanking all of your for your heartfelt, touching, honest, wise, amazing, holy crap where did you all come from comments on my home post. And emails. And tweets. Not only did you give me so much to think about, but I’ve never felt less alone in my life. Good god, you guys, we are all in the same boat in life! I do want to point out for some of you who sounded like you may have thought I’m feeling pretty bummed out right now, but I assure you that I’m not Charlie Brown-ing up the streets of LA lately. When people ask me how LA is, I respond, “great!” because life here is totally a-ok right now in the grand scheme of things.

Things that are good, things that feel right in my home right now: jaw dropping sunsets, a strong, delicious drink and a boyfriend who makes you the best sandwiches in all the land.

maple sour

Have a drink with me? It’s been a long week, and this is my very favorite, ever:

Maple Sour
2 oz whiskey or bourbon (I prefer Makers Mark, or Knob Creek)
1/2 oz lemon (if you use a meyer lemon [yum], use a little more as it’s not as sour)
1/2 oz maple syrup (if you are a whiskey newb or wuss, use a little more)

Pour over ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake the shit out of it. Strain into a glass. Garnish with a lemon peel if you’re fancy, huh/have too much time on your hands/are trying to impress someone. Be careful, they are dangerously delicious.

If you don’t drink, and/or still need a little pick-me-up, watch this.

Friday Bits? Maybe next week. Have a wonderful weekend!

21 Responses to “Home, continued”

1. Arlie Says:

April 1st, 2011 at 12:24 pm

:) :) :) is all.

2. Katie Says:

April 1st, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I totally know what you mean – sometimes you can feel down and kinda out of place but totally happy, excited and content with life at the same time. Glad to hear that’s how things are for you!

And yes, I do believe I will join you in one of those maple sours..

3. mon Says:

April 1st, 2011 at 1:33 pm

thank you for your home post. even though i haven’t moved in quite a few years, your thoughts still resonated with me. and speaking of sandwiches, you have to check out this month’s issue of saveur. it’s titled THE SANDWICH ISSUE…need i say more?! happy friday! ps. that drink looks delicious. i will definitely have one tonight!

4. gia Says:

April 1st, 2011 at 1:40 pm

cheers! great thoughts! that drink looks amazing! too bad I’m on meds, will do next weekend maybe!

5. Morgan Ashley Allen Says:

April 1st, 2011 at 3:37 pm

That’s something I really enjoy about your posts — your follower’s comments. They add to your writing in some really amazing ways. Also, I’m drinking your cocktail tonight so thank you.

6. maya Says:

April 1st, 2011 at 11:15 pm

a good whiskey sour makes me happy. i would like to share the secret (in my opinion) to the ultimate whiskey sour: a splash of citrus bitters and + one egg white to the mix before you shake it up- this adds a body and wonderful froth that is incomparable. don’t let it scare you, it’s not at all slimy! this is a very old fashioned trick i picked up in my bartending days. if you can get your hands on an amerena cherries from italy, they make a lovely addition as well!

7. Lexie Says:

April 1st, 2011 at 11:48 pm

That drink looks so gooooood.

8. Em Says:

April 2nd, 2011 at 12:06 am

Thankyou so much for these posts.
    At the end of the month I’m moving to live with the boy. It’s not a big move but it means the city that’s supposed to have been ‘home’ for the last 10 years won’t be any more.
    It is something I have been simultaniously telling my self would work right away but also need some time.
    Thankyou for this post, if just that you’ve made me think I need to give my new ‘home’ a bit of time before I judge it.
    I hope that sense of really being home comes for you soon. X

9. rebecca Says:

April 2nd, 2011 at 12:19 am

I already favorited it on flickr but i’ll say it again… i’m in love with this picture, it’s SO beautiful !

10. {gemmifer} Says:

April 2nd, 2011 at 6:27 am

That’s one of the great things about blogging… there’s a world-wide support group out there! Thanks for the video links. I love anything Arrested Development-related; add Peanuts to the mix and I’m so there! And that girl is some performer–brought a big smile to my face. Have a great weekend, Kate xoxo Jennifer

11. Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL Says:

April 2nd, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I love hearing from people with such positivity. You’re so right, in the grand scheme of things, life is WONDERFUL. It’s so easy for me to get sucked into my own crankiness…but reading this totally cheered me up. Thanks. :)

12. celia Says:

April 2nd, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO HAVE A COCKTAIL AGAIN.

13. indreams Says:

April 2nd, 2011 at 4:25 pm

that video link pick-me-up was just what i needed…what a strong voice for someone so young!

i also realized i didn’t comment on the home post (mainly because it’s a little too raw to really go there), but i should have at least told you how much it means to me that i’m not alone in my quest for someplace to really call home. moving around too much, shifting spaces, changing friends…sometimes it feels like we’re all just nomads of one type or another. but such is the beauty of our world, that we can explore it, and make new friends, and find new places that feed a little bit more into our souls, and give us small pieces of home until we know where to finally take root.

happy weekend. :)

14. Agnieszka Says:

April 3rd, 2011 at 12:26 am

When I read that you want to move out from NYC I thought: She must be crazy! But when i saw your photos from LA I think I can understand that! ;d I live in Poland and I want sooooooo baaadlyyyyy move to NY! I hope I will make my dream come true ;)

15. Helen@Baby Shoes Says:

April 4th, 2011 at 4:47 am

The drink sound like a good idea, Mine will be made with JD.

16. Elle Says:

April 4th, 2011 at 6:51 am

Kate, that video was totally the perfect start to my day. I haven’t been able to ‘really’ drink in ages and when I saw the link I thought ‘how could this compare??’ haha. Totally did the trick, kids singing (and in this case, amazingly well!) gets me everytime. ♥

17. bigBANG studio Says:

April 4th, 2011 at 7:34 am

just catching up here and gurrrl, do you know how very much i adore thee? i felt that way when we first moved to the left coast, too. give yourself time! and permission to invest yourself in this new place and this new community.

also, of COURSE you’re a maker’s girl. great homegirls drink alike;)

tons of hugs and kisses from another lassie with dreams of home…xoxo

18. Nichole Says:

April 4th, 2011 at 10:24 am

Oh, you are fancy. Huh? ;)

19. gia Says:

September 17th, 2011 at 12:03 am

FYI, I have made my own signature drink, via you! I adore bourbon, but not at the time this came out. So I made this with vanilla vodka, and it’s damn good. I made it for a friend who came back from vermont with maple syrup for me the other day, so I would make him another! Amen sista!

20. sour soiree, the anti-valentine party « Says:

February 10th, 2012 at 8:21 am

[...] {2} Serve Maple Sour cocktails … and keep them coming! {find the complete recipe here} [...]

21. A great many fine things | Coffee in the Woodshed Says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 8:20 pm

[...] ago; now even a drop brings on a raging headache. So I’m drinking bourbon instead – a maple sour, made with maple from trees tapped five miles [...]