DIY Dining Table

After completing my first DIY desk using hairpin legs, I instantly dreamed about making a round dining table. I had to wait months until we moved, but I never stopped daydreaming about how perfect it would be, and even started buying supplies before we moved into the new place. Ian of hairpinlegs.com generously offered to send me some legs to make my day dreaming come true, and I was floored by his kindness. The legs came, just as beautiful and perfect as the last set, and I had to agonizingly wait to build the table while the stress of moving set in and plans were foiled week and after week. But alas! It’s finished, and it’s amazing.

I followed the same steps as last time, but this time practiced a little thing called patience and actually followed directions while staining – sand, stain, wait overnight, sand, stain again. Wait. Wait. Wait. Attach legs. Then of course the screws I had were too long and the thought of going back to the hardware store and waiting YET AGAIN destroyed me, so I just used bolts. You can see them from certain angles, but it doesn’t bother me one bit.

Then last week I found some fantastic vintage chairs for crazy, crazy cheap on craigslist and met a wonderful woman to pick them up and found out she has an Etsy shop and also sells at the Melrose Flea Market. How often do you meet cool, sane people off of craigslist? I have the most terrible craigslist luck and never find anything cool, so I was excited. The upholstery is in need of an upgrade, and seeing as my family owns an upholstery shop I think I can somehow swing that one of these days. We also have these amazing industrial metal pendant lamps that I really wanted to hang over the table, but those plans were ruined after we discovered that our ceiling is made of cake or something because no amount of trickery will get a screw to stay in that baby. Sad face.

Despite crushed lamp dreams and that semi-fug sage green wall I need to repaint soon (thinking a warm grey), I’m pretty excited about the dining area. It’s small, but cozy and perfect for two.

Details:
Round wood, 36″: Fisher (this was tough to track down! It was about $20)
Hairpin legs, 28″ 3-rod raw steel: hairpinlegs.com
Stain: Minwax PolyShades in Antique Walnut

Comments

That looks so beautiful! I also like the last shot–do I spy some nice built ins?

I am glad you had a nice craigslist experience. Once I was looking for an apartment and thought I’d found a good one, but the man who showed us the place was bleeding through his mouth and face bandages as he woozily showed us around. Maybe he had just gotten his wisdom teeth out? None of my business, but I wish he had at least said, “Oh these? These bandages? Don’t mind them. I am okay and you are safe.”

It looks gorgeous! Love the contrast of the warm wood against the B&W tile floor. And the built-ins in the background look amazing too. :) My mom was looking at desk legs at Ikea and I’m trying to swing her around to hairpin legs, so hopefully this post will clinch it! ;)

3. Maggie says

That’s a great, simple table and in such a tranquil eating space.

I’ve been following your blog for a little while, and I wonder if I speak for others in saying that seeing your earlier desk project (and link to Silvia’s similar piece) led me to go ahead and purchase some of Ian’s hairpin legs for myself. I also recently moved into a new space and was in need of an affordable coffee table — they really did the trick. My boyfriend and I loved it so much that we’ve gone on to build a TV/media unit and are awaiting our shipment of another set of Ian’s simple, wonderful legs. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kate, how heavy is your lamp? I’m thinking that a heavy duty molly (wall anchor) or – better – toggle bolt will do the trick. Toggle bolts slip behind the drywall, and they have a toggle that flattens flush behind the drywall as you tighten them up. Even better, it’s a common, inexpensive bit of hardware – easy to find at your local true value or ace or home depot or whatnot. Don’t give up on your lamp dreams yet!

im loving the table! the stain looks great kate! have you tried hilti anchors for your ceiling? they may do the trick. they make plastic hilti anchors as well, i find that they perform better than most dry wall anchors.

The table turned out beautifully. The legs give it such a fresh look.
    Thanks for mentioning you used MinWax. I just scored a side table at Salvation Army with some scratches and didn’t know where to start!

The table is perfect! I’ve been dreaming of a table just like this, as our kitchen table nook is so small, and a round table wood table is really needed there. I love the hairpin legs on the round, looks wonderful!

i’m LOVING how this turned out! great shape – between the legs and the round table top… the grain in the wood is beautiful! it’s amazing how, when things in your mind finally come together, you feel so satisfied.
    love it – wonderful choices. and a great addition to the new place!

Trackbacks

1. […] “After completing my first DIY desk using hairpin legs, I instantly dreamed about making a round dining table. I had to wait months until we moved, but I never stopped daydreaming about how perfect it would be, and even started buying supplies before we moved into the new place.” (For Me, For You) […]