Thank you all for the wonderful responses to the blog redesign! I’m so glad you like it. As a token of my appreciation, how about the world’s greatest cookie recipe in return? When I say “the world’s greatest cookie recipe”, this ain’t no hyperbole my friends, this is the real deal. The holy grail of cookie recipes. The once in a lifetime chance to have access to what my friend Shirley describes to me as “The Only Chocolate Chip Cookie I Will Ever Need to Know How to Make For The Rest of My Life”.

Let’s step back for a second as a recipe like this don’t just show up on your doorstep unannounced. A few years ago, back when we were living in the Lower East Side, Will and I swapped apartments with some friends in Seattle (the greatest thing you can ever do for a vacation, by the way). Upon arriving at their apartment, we discovered an adorable plate of chocolate chip cookies set out for us that Shirley had baked, displayed in a way that would make Martha Stewart proud and any tired traveler thank the gods. See evidence below:

welcome

Not only did we inhale them (I couldn’t even wait to take the photo before inhaling one, obviously), but we discovered a bag of extra dough in the freezer, which we shamefully inhaled some of as well. Needless to say I found these cookies to be magnificent. They were the perfect consistency -not too cakey or soft, a little crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside. Caramely and rich, with a sprinkle of sea salt on top. I dreamed about these cookies later. I dreamed about these cookies for almost three effing years until last weekend, trying to figure out what to bring to a potluck, the thought occurred to me to ask Shirley for the recipe. Why I didn’t ask sooner is beyond me. I guess maybe at the time I wasn’t really as into baking as I am now and I thought she just possessed magical skills that caused these cookies to be so good, rather than secret tricks. So I emailed her, and within hours I had the beast of a recipe below in my inbox. I asked her if I could share the recipe on my blog, let the secret out, and she said, “Of course. I don’t want anyone to deal with  a mediocre cookie ever again. Why? The tragedy can be avoided!” Indeed.

I’ve put Shirley’s recipe along with my own notes in italics. I baked two batches and tried different things, which I note below. (Best blog research ever?) Don’t let this recipe intimidate you. The only thing it requires is a little patience due to the refrigerating, and some planning to get everything at room temperature before you dive in. This is no “I want cookies in my mouth hole asap” recipe. This is a “I want the best damn chocolate chip cookies that have ever graced this earth and I am willing to practice some patience to get them in my mouth hole” recipe.

by Shirley Hendrickson, adapted from Jacques Torres (Kate: I totally had this link and recipe wrong before, sorry about that!)

Secret 1: The use of a mix of cake flour and bread flour. Cake flour is finer, and bread flour has gluten, both important. Use them and no other.

Kate: I’m fairly certain this is one of the keys to this recipe being so great. It took me ages to find cake flour at my huge grocery store as it’s not super popular and they hid it on the top shelf that I had to have someone help me get down, but dig dig dig as it’s necessary!

Secret 2: Chilling. This is key — KEY! — to cookie texture success. The reason is that letting the dough rest allows all the eggs and the butter and the liquids to ooze and soak and hydrate into all the dry goodness. 24 hours is minimum, 36 is preferable (and noticeably better).

Also, the flavor gets crazy! Deep, caramel-y, toffee-y, and they bake up so much more deliciously brown. Plus, it lets the outside get crisp and crackly and keeps the middle almost underdone when you pull them out — they set up and turn into soft, chewy heaven.

Kate: I baked one batch after only four hours of chilling and they were great – like SO great people begged me for the recipe at the potluck. Then I tried 12 hours, 24 hours, and 36 hours. While 36 was DEFINITELY in-freaking-credible (so true about the caramel-y-ness), if you can only wait four hours, it won’t be the end of the world. This also makes SO many cookies that you could make half and then half later, like I did.

Secret 3: All ingredients. Room temperature. Do it. (Note: The misconception with room-temperature butter: it actually doesn’t mean letting it sit out until it’s supersoft and melty. You should be able to press a slice of butter with your finger and easily make a dent, and it should crack faintly.)

Secret 4: Did you know? People make their cookies way too small! It’s silliness! If you make them too small, they dry out too quick, and they get too crunchy. We want gooey and chewy! The way to achieve that is to scoop your dough out into golf-ball sized — or slightly larger — portions. I use a 1/3 c measuring cup for extra big cookies.

Secret 5: The chocolate. Sorry, Toll House. And don’t even think about the generic supermarket brand. I only use Ghiardelli 60% Cacao chips — they’re pretty widely available the best chips you can buy at a grocery store. However, if you run across anything that is 60% cacao, it’ll be good.

Secret 6: The sprinkle of salt on the top. Makes all the sweetness sing.

Secret 7: Wait. I mean, sure, have one piping hot out of the oven, but the flavors actually meld and deepen once they cool. These are definitely cookies that get better the next day.

Secret 7 1/2: Always err on taking them out too early rather than too late – also essential for middle-softness. They continue to cook on the sheet for a few minutes, so don’t overdo it – underdone is better than overdone, every time (and you can always pop them in for a minute more if you like).

Stick to these secrets, and you will ace chocolate chip cookies forever.

2 cups minus 2 Tbsp. cake flour (8 1/2 oz)*
1 2/3 cups bread flour (8 1/2 oz)*
1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. coarse salt, such as kosher
2 ½ sticks (1 ¼ cups; 10 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
1 ¼ cups (10 oz.) light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. (8 oz.) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ¼ pounds bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks, preferably about 60% cacao content, such as Ghirardelli
Sea salt or kosher salt for garnishing

(* to those questioning the weight of the flours – they are indeed correct. Different flours have different weights, so just because you are weighing out the same oz doesn’t mean you are using the same amount, if that makes sense. Trust Shirley on this one.)

Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk well; then set aside.

Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until very light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Reduce the mixer speed to low; then add dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. (Unless you have a plastic guard that sits around the rim of the bowl, this will make a big mess at first, with flour flying everywhere. I found that carefully holding a dish towel around the top of the bowl helped a lot.) Add the chocolate chips, and mix briefly to incorporate. Press plastic wrap against the dough, and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. The dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

When you’re ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the bowl of dough from the refrigerator, and allow it to soften slightly. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.

Using a standard-size ice cream scoop – mine holds about 3 fluid ounces, or about 1/3 cup – scoop six mounds of dough onto the baking sheet, making sure to space them evenly. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt, and bake until golden brown but still soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then transfer the cookies onto the rack to cool a bit more.

Kate: my oven is a class-act pile of junk, so one batch was cooked at 400 for 15 minutes and I think it turned out the best! One was cooked at 300 for 25 and it was kind of mediocre. So, in my opinion, hotter and faster seems to be better. At least in my crazy oven.

Repeat with remaining dough.

Yield: About 24 (5-inch) cookies. Kate: Mine made more like 18. But I have a cookie dough eating problem.

Go forth and make cookies, people.

Comments

• Kerri says

These are by far…The BEST cookies I have made or tasted in my life time! I didn’t have time for the cookie dough to chill 24 hours and I can’t imagine them tasting even better. The last batch, I pressed walnuts into the top before baking. They turned out wonderful as well! Thanks for this awesome recipe. I learned a lot about baking which I didn’t previously know.

• Lori says

Hi,
        I baked them using coconut oil instead of butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips because I needed to make them dairy free. But they were still the best ever cookies ever. However, when I made them the second time the cookies rose. I can’t figure out why. Anyone know why? Thanks. I can’t get them perfect again.

• Logan says

Best cookies, ever! (Seriously, you will be a rock star with these delicious morsels of homey perfection). Thanks for the recipe!

• merlene Isaacs says

Thank you sooo Much for sharing This Cookie Recipe..I bake almost every weekend..lol!! This is the TRUEST And TRIED Cookie Ever…Good job….Definitely going Try a few more of your Recipes..Sincere Thank you…

definitely going to have to give this a try! i don’t like to bake sweets all the time, but it is always nice for guests. thanks for sharing.

2. Lili says

The guy who wrote this recipe for the NYT used Valrhona feves- if you are really looking to splurge it’s worth the money. Both the quality of the chocolate and the shape make a huge difference.

Lili, you just made me realize I had the original adaptation link wrong as I didn’t read through Shirley’s email thoroughly the second time. Thank you!

I just started to get really into baking also, and I’ve been planning to make these exact cookies for weeks! I have a tip for you though: you can make cake flour by mixing 1 cup (minus 2 tbsp) flour with 2 tbsp cornstarch. There’s actually a recipe for it on the cornstarch container!

• sue says

Thanks for that information. I live in Switzerland and they don’t have and have never heard of this type of flour. They have at least 5 types of bread flours with varying level of gluten.
      I appreciate you posting this. My cookies came out divine.
      I did have to watch the heat because ovens here are in Celsius not degrees. Does anyone know what temp you would use for a convection oven that is converted to celsius?

I just made a batch of ChocoChips this weekend, and although not as amazing looking as these, I don’t mind saying they were awesome. I also added some coarse sea salt which made them extra awesome. The idea to put ‘em in the fridge for 36 hours? Genius! Now I have to go finish the batch I just made so I can make these. Thanks.

Knew as soon as I saw the top photo that these were the ny times 36 hour cookies. They’re the only ones that deserve such hyperbole, and man do they deserve it! My sister begs me to make them every time I’m home.

I haven’t found them in NY yet, but if you ever see chocolate discs anywhere (like a chocolate quarter!) they make these so good – layers of cookies upon layers of melted chocolate.

Yessss this is my “secret recipe” too! I was told to let them chill for 72 hours, if you can believe it! Now I want to go to a Jacques Torres shop to try the real thing for myself…

• Catherine Roberts says

I hate to say this because I am a huge fan of Cook’s Illustrated, but these cookies were a big disappointment! I was going to have friends judge which were better between the two recipes, but threw out the batter for these. Bummer!

Yep, I made those a month or so ago, Lisa. They’re definitely delicious because of the brown butter, but I still think these are way better because of the texture. I’m not a huge fan of chewy, thin cookies, which is what mine were from the Cooks recipe. I wonder what it would be like to brown the butter in this recipe!

I am totally making these tonight. I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for a while now but wasn’t sure if it was worth the time/effort. But your photos really are the best looking chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever seen! Thanks for sharing those extra tips as well.

10. andrea says

You are a girl after my own heart with a post like this! I can’t wait to try them and I remember you raving about Shirley’s years ago. Nothing is better than a perfect chocolate chip cookie.

Aaaand the site re-design looks great in action, friend.

11. Joni says

Finally, the invention of the internet makes sense. I would never have had the opportunity to appreciate your recipe / story telling without it. After I wiped the drool from my chin, I sent the link to my grown children and invited them to make these cookies for me. Thanks.

So, immediately after I read this post yesterday, I rushed to the store and bought all the necessary supplies. 18 hours later, I baked up my first batch (Work scheduling prevented me from waiting!). I’m saving the rest for the 36 hour marathon session. And I’ll tell you what, these things are dangerous. I too have a cookie dough eating habit and the longer it sits in my fridge, the more I pick off the top. But the most important point here is you are right, these things are freaking amazing!!

oof.
    im under the weather.

please let me rephrase…effortlessly hip.

omg, that probably makes no sense. anyways, you know i dig your design!!

Whoa.
    Crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside chocolate chip cookies are the BEST kind of cookies.
    But, I have never been able to bake them.
    I’m going to take this recipe, print it out, and tape it to my cupboard.
    This needs to happen.
    (Half of the cookie dough will probably end up in my belly)
    Thank you so much Shirley and Kate!

These sound amazing and I am so going to make these! Those Toll House are only so so… and I am so with you on the 60% or better chocolate chips!! Thanks so much for sharing!

ad – it is! because it’s a huge batch. I just used one bag though as buying two bags means I will just eat the rest of the second bag.

I literally have everything sitting on my counter right now to whip these babies up, but I can’t figure out from the recipe whether I am supposed to sift the cake flour first? Every recipe on the cake flour box calls for the flour to be sifted before measuring. What are the odds that you’ll tell me what to do within the next 15 minutes before I just make a decision and hope it’s the right one?

18. Laura says

I love serious baking and this recipe makes me so happy that I want to clap and yelp. Many thanks to you and your friend for sharing the love of superb chocolate cookie making.

Parchment really is the way to go! I hate that I feel like I’m wasting trees, but any other way is a major fail (eg. pizza stone).

• Rhonda says

I have recently stopped using parchment paper as I too, feel as though I am wasting paper… Now I use a Silpat Baking Mat and it works just as well as parchment paper. I have two so I can always have a batch in the oven. Now, to dive into this recipe, face first. Cookies for dinner anyone?

20. Ana says

I have to make a confession……..I am just in love with chococlate I love chocolate cake,chocolate cookies,and chocolate cupcakes and this recipe is the one i need to complete my chocolate deserts.Thanks so much and im really happy that you posted this. =)

What fun reading this homage to chocolate cookies! You left me sitting here with a bright grin and the intention to make them right away (although I should probably make dinner for my family…)

Thanks for sharing, zill.y

I just made these. Thank you from the bottom of my cookie loving heart. The most perfect texture. Oh and this is my first batch, only chilled for one hour! So I am sure I will die when I try the 36 hour batch. I knew you had good taste after I tried the Sea Salt Brownies recipe, so thanks AGAIN!

So, I just thought I’d let you know that I made these cookies :) I just finished baking the last batch (and whoa they make a lot! Which is awesome, because I was toying with the idea of doubling the mixture…) I also thought that the amount of chocolate would be too much, and since we use grams/etc not ounces/pounds here in South Africa I was sure I got the conversion wrong, but!!! It’s the RIGHT amount of chocolate, everyone!

I put mine in at 180 deg celsius/350 F for 16m15s (yes, that pedantic) and they turned out amazing – crispy crunchy outside and a bit of chew in the very middle. I sprinkled the top with salt like suggested, but I also made some without the salt in case my family wasn’t too keen on the taste.

http://yfrog.com/h36xmhaj (pic of the amazing!!!! chocolate chips)

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

24. Rachel says

I’m headed in to the kitchen to make my second batch inside a week. Thanks so much for posting this recipe. So so good.

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve spent the weekend making these and it’s been a fun and tasty experiment. It’s been fun using the Imperial option on my kitchen scales, thanks for the measurements in ounces! And we now have a Costco near our home and it stocks the Ghiradelli chips you recommend (and are less than half the price of the chips I was using! yay!)

I made the first batch today (made the mix yesterday) and they were awesome. I didn’t check the last secret and over did a bit half of them and turned out all crunchy which is good, i didnt mind. The other half were crunchy/chewy just as you say.
    Can’t wait to make the rest.

27. Sherri says

I just finished making the dough. I think I’m going to make a small batch tomorrow afternoon just because I can’t wait, but I’m going to most of the cookies on Monday. So excited, thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

28. Katie says

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked since the day you posted it… Just waiting for the perfect time to use it. I’ve been using the ‘Neiman Marcus’ cookie recipe for years and thought there could be no better cookie. I’m going to make these this weekend for a group of hungry Tailgaters at a football game and can’t wait to put them to the test! Thanks for sharing what looks to be the perfect cookie recipe!

I made these lovely cookies this past weekend and they were excellent, thanks for the recipe. The raw cookie dough was so good I couldn’t keep my children (ok maybe myself too) out of it, which makes it really hard to let it sit for said time. Thanks

30. Renee says

So, I thought I just found the best CCC recipe, but yours looks amazing and worth a try. I appreciate all your explanations. Gooey and chewy…that’s what I’m after.

31. Casey says

Just made these and NO JOKE they are THE best chocolate chip cookies i’ve EVER made. I made 6 from the dough after it chilled for 4 hours and they were amazing. I can’t wait to bake a few more at the 24 and 48 hour mark to see how much better they’ll get!

32. Jody says

Found out AFTER baking my first batch baking soda is no good. Any ideas if I can add more? Cookies were amazing tasting but turned out flat

AGGGHHHHH!!!!! Question! USUALLY recipes say to pack the brown sugar. Pack, or no? Of course I am on a deadline to have these made for an event, with zero minutes to spare. haha. silly me.

First of all, I need to apologize to Kate and to everyone who commented before me: I’m sorry for not believing you. You see, I already had “the world’s best chocolate chip cookie” recipe and I was very skeptical that this could top them. A cookie that is better the day after you bake it?! Seriously, you expect me to believe that?!

Ooh, but I do now, I do! These cookies are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! You must follow the recipe and the tips exactly. Yes, you must refrigerate the dough. Yes, that many chocolate chips. Yes, those flours. Yes, 1/3 cup of dough per cookie. And yes, they *are* even better the next day!

I brought a couple to a co-worker to thank him for something nice that he did, and after trying one, he asked me to marry him – they’re that good!

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, Kate. I will never doubt you again!

35. Tracy says

Can you recommend a scoop? I want to make these cookies, but dread having to scrape the dough out of measuring cups. every scoop I have ever owned has always broken. So I was hoping you knew of a good one to use for this recipe. Thanks!

36. sp says

i made this recipe yesterday/today…half a batch using pastry flour (bob’s red mill unbleached whole wheat) and half using cake flour (bleached, swan brand) and both with king arthur bread flour. the cake flour cookies are lighter and more moist than the ones made with pastry whole wheat. so definitely use the cake flour!

i baked a couple for 15min at 400 degrees and they got overcooked, much crispier than expected. i then baked a few at 350 for 17ish minutes and they came out rather well! golden brown, but still soft in the middle. ymmv

also want to note that i did all my measurements based on weight and did all the mixing by hand (including creaming the butter & sugar!) so you can definitely make this recipe even if you don’t have a stand mixer…

can’t wait to try another batch tomorrow and see how the flavor develops :)

37. LAM says

thank you for the recipe. my previous 2 attempts on choc chip cookies were both disappointing while my other baking projects usually turned up just fine (according to the photos shown on the recipes). So I have to try this one as soon as I find cake flour somewhere hidden on the dusty top shelf in a grocery store in this land where people eat rice and noodles and their cakes are made from rice flour….

38. Valarie says

Aptly named, my 40+ years of searching for a great chocolate chip cookie recipe is over. Thank you ever so much.

I went out and bought all of the ingredients tonight…can’t wait to try this! I am curious though…can this dough be frozen?? The only thing that could possibly be better than finding the perfect Chocolate Cookie Recipe is having the dough waiting patiently in your freezer:-)

A friend of mine tried your recipe and confirmed its awesomeness and now I’m hoping to give it a whirl this weekend! Just wondering… isn’t the credit due to the famous chocolatier, “Jacques” Torres? Anywho – thanks for vouching for this cookie Kate. It definitely sounds like a winner!

41. alison says

soo. my son is allergic to eggs. i am wanting to try an egg replacer (ener-G egg replacer) in this recipe in place of the two eggs…. (so he too can enjoy the BEST chocolate chip cookies ever)
    is it worth it?
    anytime i use the replacer in cookies, they turn out fluffy. in cakes- dense. in brownies-utter disaster (oooey-non-baking oily mess)
    thoughts? i could just whip up some toll house ones for him… but i would feel insanely guilty knowing the likely incomparable results between mine & his!! :)

42. Blake says

I just baked these this morning and I am converted! I waited 36 hours (plus about 3 more while I slept in) and these turned out to be more than worth the wait. I can’t thank you enough for sharing this and for teaching me the errors of my cookie baking ways. Mediocrity no more!

43. Michelle says

i’m eating these as I type. About to lick some melted chocolate off my finger. My boyfriend just made me these but he did add his secret ingredient, orange zest!!!!! YUMMM

44. Alyson says

I am more of a love to cook person rather than a love to bake but I must tell you this is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I have ever tried. My boys favorite is chocolate chip cookies and I used to have a great recipe, not anywhere near as delicious as these, and I lost it so after years of trying several different recipe’s I found yours and now these are my boys favorite. Thanks for sharing.

45. rae says

so i made these cookies today for my valentine and they taste great but they are very thin and have holes in them and they leave butter on my hands sooo im willing to bet any amount of money that i have too much of something and not enough of something else haha please help me!!!

46. Alana says

These cookies are amazing! Just took my last batch out of the oven. I never thought a chocolate chip cookie could be better the next day, let alone not warm! These were definately better once they were cooled.

I was just wondering if you had even made the dough and froze it for later and if that would work. Thanks for the recipe!

Every word you spoke was undoubtedly true. I made these cookies with skipping a few of the secrets…which didn’t turn out as well and the one’s where I followed every secret exactly!

Delish!!!

I shared this recipe with a link on my blog.

48. Lisa Ann says

What did I do wrong? Followed recipe exactly but they came out fat and more like a cake. A bit hard. The dough seemed real dry. After pulled from fridge it took a long time before I could put A spoon in it! I want to try agin!!

• Elise says

Yes! I had the same issue. I took the dough right from the fridge onto the cookie sheet. They are so cakey. Followed the instructions exactly. What am I doing wrong? I’m so disappointed!

49. Gabi says

OMG these cookies are like a little slice of HEAVEN!! LOVED them, took them to an Easter party, everyone was raving how awesome they were.

I only did one thing different, and this was just because I read this tip when looking at other recipes. They used half butter, half shortening. They said butter for flavor, shortening for softness. So I modified the recipe and used 1 1/2 sticks butter and 1/2 cup shortening. Perfection!!!

Oh these sound and look absolutle heavenly :) I cam on over from Cupcakes & Cashmere and I have a feeling I’ll be indebted to you for the rest of my life for sharing this recipe ;) I can’t wait to make these!! (as soon as I get some cake flour today at the store) They’ll be the perfect thank you to my thoughtful neighbor and his kids for mowing our lawn and picking our weeds last weekend “just because” :) Thank you thank you!

xo
    Haley

51. Claudia Berson says

I would always prefer butter, but my grandson is allergic to dairy! Would using margarine ruin the whole thing? Does anyone know? Thanks :)

52. Claudia Berson says

I would always prefer butter, but my grandson is allergic to dairy! Would using margarine ruin everything? Does anyone know? Thanks :)

53. Cait says

These look so good! I have been wanting to make chocolate chip cookies with cherries and sliced almonds added? Do you think they would be good in this recipe? I think I would add the almonds after the 36 hour rest. . .

54. Marte HH says

Wow, this recipe looks fantastic! I will make the batch today, and have the cookies ready for the weekend! I have tried converting the recipe to grams (I’m from Norway), but I can’t really get the hang of the oz/oz fl/cups-thing you have going on. Is it correct that it is supposed to be the same amount (weight) of cake flour and bread flour? And the same amount of brown sugar and butter? I hope someone can help me clarify this :)

• Sofie says

This recipe indeed looks fantastic. That’s why I tried to converted too. (I’m from Belgium :) ) This is what I found:
      cake flour 237 gram
      bread flour 237 gram
      butter 284 gram
      brown sugar 284 gram
      granulated sugar 224 gram
      chocolate 567.5 gram
      I hope this is useful for you! :)

• Marte HH says

Yes, thank you so much! I got the same numbers, but I wasn’t sure it was correct. I made the dough yesterday and baked some today, they are great! Baked them a little too long though, so I’ll make sure they are perfect when I make the rest of them tomorrow :)

• says

The weight is correct. Weight does not mean that you’re using the same amount – it just means they weight the same, if that makes sense? Different flours weigh differently than each other.

55. Janene says

The recipe sounds delicious. I have found that mixing my cookie dough by hand, I mean with my own two hands in the dough, does not put so much air in the dough to contribute to them being so dry. I also freeze my baked chocolate chip cookies and actually they are better after they have been in the freezer for a while. Half frozen cookies are wonderful!

56. Gigi says

Tried these earlier, waited 36 hours and it was all a huge disappointment :( My cookies came out flat as a pancake,they tasted ok, I think its because they became so flat. I tried baking them at different temperatures and for different amounts of time and they all came out the same. I also tried shaping them the way you did, little mounds, then I flattened them a tiny bit in the center (like a “cell” shape) to see if the raised edges would keep them from flattening but no use. Never was much of a baker, any tips?
    PS: I read online that it could be the flour/baking soda but I followed your recipe exactly, and yours are obviously beautiful! I also read that freezing the dough a bit would help, which I also tried with a batch but alas, no difference. Help!

• says

try this…go directly from freezer to parchment lined cookie sheet – preheated oven 10 minutes @ 375 – bake for 14 minutes – take them out and hold cookie sheet 9″ from counter and drop the cookie sheet on to counter top….keeping your hand on edge of pan as you drop them. place cookie sheet on a cooling rack for 10 minutes and then eat them!!!

let me know!

• Gigi says

Ahhhh forgot I had commented on this, until today when my bf suggested I make them for my good friend when I asked what I could do extra special for her birthday. I must make some corrections, the cookies were amazing the next day! The taste really went from ok to spectacular overnight. The night I wrote the comment I had tasted one a half hour or so after I took them out of the oven. When I tried them the next day, I couldn’t believe the difference. Now when I make them I don’t even taste them till the next day (“saving the calories for the best taste”). I tried them again, used your advice however they still came out flat, I think its because I’ve never been much of a baker. They still taste amazing flat and all, the entire batch was gone in a day in my house of 5! Best recipe ever

57. yvonne says

Hi, my problem is the opposite, the cookies are not flat enough like yours. Do you flatten the cookie before baking? Thanks!

58. Lisa says

Hi! I just made these cookies today. I only waited a couple hours because my husband was pestering me to bake them. I’ll make another batch with the appropriate time later this week. They tasted great and I love the recommendation of chips. Just one question, I like more of a brown sugar taste. Have you experimented with adding more of it or the dark brown sugar? Thanks!!!

I just tried this recipe and IT IS DIVINE! Truely the best recipe I’ve ever tried! Going to share your link on my blog :)

60. Lynn says

I am preparing to make these cookies and am a bit confused. The recipe calls for 2 cups minus 2 Tbsp. (8 ½ oz.) cake flour and 1 2/3 cups (8 ½ oz.) bread flour. But 2 cups minus 2 Tbsp is not 8 1/2 oz and neither is 1 2/3 cups. So how much of each type of flower do I really need? HELP??!!

• says

I didn’t make the measurements, but follow the cups rather than the oz then, because that’s what I’ve always done and it works perfectly.

• says

I put the measurements back in as they are indeed correct. Different flours weigh differently, you’re not using the same amount – just weighing out the same oz.

61. Blake says

I cannot find cake flour anywhere. Can I sub regular flour for cake flour? I have the bread flour. Thanks!

62. Lauren P. says

I pride myself on being a pretty versatile and skilled baker…. except for chocolate chip cookies. After many expirements with different recipes, I just couldn’t nail this dessert staple down. Either too buttery and spread out on the baking sheet when I pulled them out of the oven, or cardboardy. Frustrating doesn’t cover it! Until, I made this recipe over the weekend. They. Were. Perfect. Actually, better than perfect. Magical. Thank you!!!

63. Lisa says

I just made these! They were delicious, however the recommended cookie-ball size was WAY too big! They were the size of my hand when they came out of the oven!

64. Sarah says

These sound amazing! I can’t wait to try them. My husband has to have gluten free so I am going to try making a gluten free version this weekend… I will share how they turn out and what flour mix is best for all those GF cookie lovers!

• Sarah says

Okay, made gluten free version and I swear Best Cookies EVER! Couldn’t even tell they were gluten free. I used a rice flour blend of rice flour, tapioca, and amaranth. This recipe is a keeper!!!!

Amazing. So. So. So. So. good.
    Everyone’s told me to keep this recipe.
    One change: maybe it’s because I’m in high altitude, but the batter was super crumbly and dry.
    I added a little olive oil and kneaded the dough. Worked out perfectly.
    Delish!!

• Julie says

These cookies I’ve been doing for about a year…kick ass (sorry I get excited about recipes!) — the absolute best recipe for a thicker caramelly-gooey c chip cookie. The thin crispy “Tates” style are nice too but if I bake and wrap these individually and mail them out in all my shoe boxes in tissue..my family loves me and my friends are LIFERS!!!!

THANKS FOR POSTING..I can’t remember where I saw the original recipe it was the coolest web site too…not epicurious or leites culinaria..another one…..key is the bread flour for the density of the cookie…Use all organic if you can….it does make a difference!!!!

66. Faith says

Can you please tell me how many cups of chocolate chips are equal to 1 1/4 lb? I’m hoping to try this recipe soon!

67. Alobrien says

the BEST chocolate chip cookies ever…..I cooked the first batch about 6 hours after refrigerating….and the rest is in the oven now! used 1/3 of a cup…and yes I may be crazy…but I like my chocolate chip cookies to be chocolate chipless!! lol

68. LaurenH says

Popping these bad boys in the oven now – been in the fridge for about 36 hours! Can’t wait to see how they turn out! Thanks so much for the recipe and comments!

69. Cami Najar says

LOOOOOOOOOOVING THIS BLOG! ITS AWSOME! im from Argentina and I always wanted to know how you made ​​these cookies! xoxo

I baked these last week and WOW! I have finally found the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe! Everyone, including my boyfriend, said they were the best chocolate chip cookies they’ve ever had! We were all eating them right out of the oven. My boyfriend has gone to the grocery store twice to make sure I had all the ingredients in stock so that I can make them ALL THE TIME! Thank you so much for sharing!

I’m totally going to try to translate this recipe in French! Don’t know if it’s going to have the same taste with european ingredients… Anyway, it deserves to be known everywhere !
    Thanks for sharing

72. Carla says

Well, I am writing this with part of a cookie hanging out of my mouth. Very good and the sea salt on top really makes it. After baking half of it and siting in the refreg. again for about 12 hrs. I added pecans. Husband likes it without pecans and I love it with. It’s not that hard to add later to the cookie dough. I used my largest cookie dough scoup which holdes about 1/4 c and I got a nice 3 1/2 inch cookie and I DID NOT push them down. I left them in there scouped shape before I baked them. They came out in a nice thick cookie. Could not find the chips you mention but did find them in semi-sweet mini chocolate chips. Really good!

73. Alexa says

I followed this recipe exactly, waited 48 hours before baking, and although the cookies were no doubt DELICIOUS, they came out super flat and paper-thin! A 1/4 cup scoop of dough yielded a ridiculously huge 6-inch cookie. Any tips, people? The flavor is amazing and the cookie came out nice and chewy, but I am determined to get this perfect. Help!

Alexa,

Did you leave your butter to sit until room temp or did you melt it? If you melt it, it could be why your cookies are flat. Overmixing could also make a flat cookie. When you scoop the dough, make it into a ball shape and don’t flatten them! they will flatten themselves. Also make sure you weigh the ingredients as oppose to using a measuring cup to be more precise. Baking is super finicky.

• Alexa says

Annie, thank you for your response. I did use a beater attachment opposed to a paddle attachment, which probably led to the overmixing. I’ll try again next time with your tips in mind. Thanks again!

74. Tracy Crawford says

I made these cookies this morning, and might I add as I sit here am feeling very ill from eating so many. These are definitly the worlds best cookie, that I have ever made. MMMMMMMMMMM…could hardly wait the 24hrs to bake them. The dough was pretty good to eat before baking as well. I recommend this recipe, but am not giving it out to anyone,cause I want to have the market cornered on the very best cookie to make for everyone. The sea salt make all the difference. I followed the directions exactly only I used hersheys special dark chips, because the store i was in I could not find the Giradelli chips. Again Thanks for a great recipe

75. Bunny says

These are to die for, thanks for sharing. I made a batch, kept in the freezer and bake a few large ones at a time at 400 for 10 mins only. Then I immediately serve topped with vanilla ice cream. It’s just heavenly – the freshly baked, warm and soft cookie, combined with the melting vanilla ice cream would ruin anyone’s diet.

76. Carla says

Well, I am writing again just to tell yoi that yesterday at the State Fair here in California…I entered your cookie and I got a blue ribbon. In this contest it did not need to be a recipe that you made up. It could come from anywhere, even a cookbook. The only change I made was to use a Dark brown sugar and I finally did find the Ghirardelli 60 percent cacao chips. I put in 2 whole 10oz. bags in. Thank you for posting this recipe. Now you know that it is a blue ribbon winner….at least in California. PS. To the people who keep on getting flat cookie…use fresh baking soda and baking powder. Baking soda has a short life once it is opened.

77. Demelza says

Whats the difference with 8,5 oz cake flour and 8,5 oz bread flour since the cup-sizes are different? Do you use both 8,5 oz or do you use the cup-size? Since Im from Holland and we really do not use these measurements its quite difficult! So, 238 grams of cake flour AND 238 grams of bread flour or am i completly wrong? Im dying to try this recipe!!

• says

I meant to do this before but I’ve removed the oz because they’re incorrect and I’m not sure what’s correct. You could google it to see what the right conversion is as i don’t want to lead you astray! I think everyone else has really used cup sizes so far.

I wanted to know how do you scoop the dough after it’s been re-fridged? Would you recommend to let the dough sit for awhile first? I find it hard to scoop cold dough.

…or could you scoop dough first on baking sheet then put in fridge for 36 hours??

79. Kelley says

LOVE and we are obsessesd. Have made several times but need the weights for the flours! Did you take them out? Please re add as it makes a huge difference. Thanks!!

• says

the weights were incorrect so I took them out, but you can convert them online. I just didn’t want to lead anyone astray when I wasn’t 100% sure as I use the cup measurements.

• says

I made the cookies based on the weight and it turned out really really good (worthy of the name of this recipe). Are you telling me that it would taste even better if I had measured using measuring cups? lol. OMG. I have to start my experiment over.

• says

Ok I just talked to Shirley, who wrote this recipe out, and she says the weights were correct. People complaining that they seemed wrong just don’t know how baking measurements work, like me. Ha! Putting them back – they were 8 1/2 oz each.

80. Katie P says

I just made this dough and put it in the fridge to chill. I am going to use the cookies to make home made ice cream sandwiches with the salty caramel ice cream I made last night. Let the 36 hour countdown begin.

81. Tushar "First Time Baker" says

I just followed the directions exactly and put the cookie dough in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap for the past 24 hours and it feels rock hard. Is this normal? I hope I didn’t ruin this batch. I wanted to surprise my family with these cookies by baking them tomorrow, and this is my first time baking ever.

Thanks for any advice,

Just trying to be a better husband.

Hi Tushar,

They are rock hard for me too straight out of the fridge, but if you wait 10 minutes, it will soften up. I have to press really hard with my ice cream coop when I don’t wait. I hope this helps!

• says

that’s pretty normal! When you take it out to bake them let it sit for 15 minutes or so, letting it soften a bit so it’s scoopable.

• Tushar "First Time Baker" says

The cookies came out awesome. I had to increase the temp to 375 in my oven to get them golden brown.
        Thanks again!

82. Tushar "First Time Baker" says

I am so relieved to hear that. I can’t wait to bake them tonight and share them with the family tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out.

!@ I’m ashamed to admit that it’s been so long since I visited…I LOVE the new look. I LOVE that you have a jewelry site! So great, and these cookies look mighty fine.

84. Stephanie says

I would like a little guidance on baking these after they have been frozen. I made the dough, let it rest in fridge for 36 hours, took it out and let it rest to soften a bit, then formed balls and vacuum packed them and they are in the freezer right now. Do I defrost them before I bake them, and at what temp/time? Or do I bake them frozen and at what time/temp? The other thing is that a large ice cream scooper is too big for me and my family–we just don’t need or want cookies that big. So I use the smaller scooper. They are still large enough. Suggestions?

I have been searching for the perfect less-sweet chocolate chip cookie recipe for years, and this one sounds like a winner! Question though…What about those of us not fortunate enough to have a mixer? Any tips on how to mix this by hand–signs to look for that you’ve mixed enough but not too much?
    thanks so much!

86. Sarah says

I’ve made these cookies around 3 times and they tasted divine, though the first 2 times it was very solid once out of the fridge and the other time I may have beaten it longer or something and it was very fluffy after refrigeration and the cookies were sort of spongy. Any tips to avoid having it turn out spongy?
    And do you think I could substitute the choc chips for white chocolate and cranberries? Thank you :)

• Tiffany says

Ooo, white chocolate and cranberries?! That sounds delicious! I was thinking about adding some chopped Hershey’s cookies and cream… hmmm…

Just an FYI to those of you commenting with questions and needing tips: I didn’t create this recipe and the girl who shared it with me doesn’t regularly read these comments, so I apologize I don’t respond as I’m just not really a baker and don’t regularly make these cookies!

88. Jaime says

This is my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe! My boyfriend is nuts about them. My co-workers and friends beg for them! I buy the Guittard dark chocolate chips -63% cocoa- and dump 2 bags in. About $5 a bag but key to making these. They are good no matter how long you wait to bake them but part of the fun is waiting the 36 hours. I also bake at 375 for about 14-15 mins but my oven can be temperamental. Hot and fast seems best for baking these!

89. Donita says

My sister and I have enjoyed baking our entire lives. I have always enjoyed baking cookies while my sister prefers cakes more. The chocolate chip cookie has just never been one that I could do well, for unknown reason. My sister has recently opened a small bakery, and when I told her about this recipe, she was unyielding and unwilling to consider it. She was perfectly satisfied with her recipe and couldn’t fathom another recipe being better. I urged her to at least look at the recipe.

Well, she did, and promptly replied, “OK, I think I am going to have to give this one a try. I do like the use of the two flours, especially the cake flour making them a bit lighter!”

See! I have already converted a seasoned baker…no pun intended. I have tasted these cookies, but have not made them myself. We are both in the process of making them now! Mine are in the refrigerator and I check on them often by tasting the dough! Looking forward to them on Tuesday..I’m waiting 48-hours

90. Pat says

I bake alot,…cookies, cakes, granola,… I made these yesterday. They are the best chocolate chip cookies that I have ever had! The folks at work agreed!

91. Lynda says

I tried these with only bread flour and they were amazing, so can’t wait to try making them with the mixed flours. I missed the baking time and caught a post where the person baked them at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. I set my oven at 375 degrees as it runs hot and smelled them well before the 15 minutes was up, so took them out and even though a little dark, was still delicious. I’m going to try them again with the right flours and the at the right temperature :)

92. Debbie says

I tried this recipe and OMG simply amazing is all I can say. The flavors of the salt and chocolate blend in your mouth while your chewing and you just can’t get enough. I loved the taste of the salt on the cookie itself. Just everything about this cookie is amazing. I will never use another chocolate chip cookie recipe again. Yes, it takes a while and I did wait the 36 hours and I must say well worth the wait. I am planning to make another batch next week to share with my co-workers at our Christmas party, after all I still have unused Bread Flour and Cake Flour why not !! Kudos on this recipe !!

… Amazing Cookies and we bake a LOT in our family, esp our daughter, Chula, who is a wonderful baker — not sure how you discovered the ‘amazingness’ of this Choc Chip Cookie ? But these are worth every minute of time and the raves are proof ! These cookies are magical… kudos to your genius for this recipe. Thank you!

94. Katherine says

I made these over the summer and they went over so well, everyone was obsessed with them. I am making them again to give away for Christmas. Thank you for such an awesome recipe!

95. Bea says

I made this once before and it’s just absolutely divine. Kept a frozen stash in the freezer and just cook a cookie or two at a time for 10 mins on 400 and top immediately with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The challenge was getting a decent scoop out when it’s as hard as stone! So this time, I chilled a fresh batch, then when it was a bit firm, formed into balls, dusted with a little flour and kept in an airtight container in the freezer. Now it’ll be easy to just grab a few balls instead of breaking my arm trying to scoop a serving out as i can’t be bothered waiting for it to thaw :)

• Kerri says

That’s a great idea! Also, I do add nuts to this recipe after cutting the chocolate a bit. Another way that I like better is to press some uncut walnuts in the cookie dough…sprinkle with kosher salt and then put into the oven.

• Bea says

Excellent idea! Especially if there are people who are allergic. At least you don’t have to make two separate batches of dough. I for one like as much chocolate in there as possible….no chances of cutting the chocolate out. LOL. But seriously, I think I’ll try doing this in my next batch. And I love cashew. I shall try that too. Thanks for the tip!

96. Yogi says

Ahh never baked a thing in my 62 yr life.. but I follow instructions.. did my first batch and volia.. PERFECTO.. let butter soften slightly, measure right, don’t over kill the butter and sugars, fridge 36 hours and let get back to room temp. Cooked 375 18-19 mins… Wish I had camera to show you excellence.
    Thank you for recipe… pushing chopped walnuts into golf balls next time b4 baking

97. SF says

I completely fell for the fellow who gave me the link to this recipe. But he already makes them so well… whatever shall I use to win him over? heehee! Thanks for your clear instructions. These are delicious. I used some orange-flavored chocolate for good measure… pretty amazing.

I do not bake atlot. I have just finished my very first attempt at making a batch of these cookies. I tasted the batter after I had finished and I can still feel the sugar granuals:( I creamed for 5 minutes and the color of the batter lightened up. Have I messed my batch up???

• says

In reference to my eariler post about the sugar granuals above…Just so other people who are like me and dont bake alot know….I just baked 2 cookies just to see if they were going to be ok……OMG, they were amazing!!!:)So glad I did cream the butter and sugar correct, I was really worried when my batter was gritty that maybe I didn’t cream long enough….Wheew, got lucky….Thanks everyone for posting all the tips….I read them all and they were a BIG help:)

Gasp! I have an unexpected snow day today, and now I know what I want to do with it! Well, at least I can prepare the dough to bake tomorrow or later. Thanks for the recipe! :)

OH SWEET MERCIFUL HEAVENS these cookies are the best I have ever had–BY A LONGSHOT. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this recipe!

My Life | For Me, For You” honestly got me personally addicted with your internet page!

I reallywill certainly wind up being returning even more frequently.
    Thanks ,Diane

102. Sarah says

These cookies were/are amazing!!! I wasn’t able to wait a full 24 hours before baking them and they were still delicious. I’ve baked cookies several different ways, playing around with all-butter and butter-crisco ratios, but this recipe by far takes the cake (or cookie in this instance)! The sprinkle of salt on top is pure perfection, and allowing the batter to “age” really brings out the flavors. I’m so glad I stumbled upon this recipe; thank you for sharing, and thank your friend for her kind consideration in not wanting anyone to suffer through another so-so cookie again!

103. Mirra says

I ran out of all-purpose flour and panicked because I really wanted chocolate chip cookies. I saw in the cabinet that I had plenty of bread flour and cake flour and decided to look up a recipe with those flours. Your recipe came up and I was so excited to begin making the dough. The only changes I made were using a combination of light& dark brown sugar (I love dark brown sugar) and I only had about 1 & 1/2 sticks of butter (ran out) so for the remainder I used Crisco. I waited 48 hours. It was really hard btw knowing that the dough was staring me right in the face for 2 days. Moving on, I didn’t need to bake them for too long at all. For me it was near 15mins maybe a minute or 2 under. These were so delicious. Be careful not to over bake them. Mine came out perfect. Crunchy on the outside and nice and chewey on the inside. Absolutely delicious. My family loved them. This is definitely a keeper.

Thank you for sharing this recipe as these cookies are amazing. I’ll never need to search for another chocolate chip recipe again. I first tried these with Toll House chips because that is what I had in the cupboard and they turned out good. I then made them a second time with Ghirardelli. Wow, Ghirardelli was the hands down winner for chocolate chips. Once again thanks for sharing the recipe!

105. Carolann says

THese are awesome cookies – but 1 question! When taking out of the refrig how long do you wait to begin? THe dough is very hard to scoop out, then the texture differs b/c the first trays the dough temp is so much colder than the last trays. OR do you allow the chilled dough to come back to room temp, then bake? Thank you!

106. Marie says

I am sorry I am here to criticise but I assure you with my entire being that it is, without a doubt, constructive and will do nothing but enhance your experience and relationship with these ‘damn-good’ cookies – do not bother waiting the time, whatever “Shirley” has told you about the gooey-ness setting in is false! I am a Chemistry Student and trust me when I say that allowing the dough to ‘cool’ merely slows down the processes involved, (I won’t go in to detail!) you are best to just stick to the “whip’em up and pop’em in” method.

Secondly, another note would be to just use ordinary flour as the “cake flour” you mention is chemically the same as your average jo flour it is just more expensive and ‘pre-sieved for you’ – save your dough (pun intended:D)and just stick with the ordinary all purpose :) (it is called “all purpose” for a reason!)

Lastly, besides the criticsm and unavoidable snobbines that comes across in this comment (I really do, sincerely, 100% apologise for that and I in no way wish to offend or upset anybody as a result of my comments – I only wish to help!) I have enjoyed baking your glorious cookies – seriously, everyone out there should be taught this recipe in Kindergarden it is so undeniably awesome!!

Much of the Lovee ;)
    Marie xkx

107. Kristy says

Holy crap. HOLY CRAP. I made these. I haven’t baked them yet. The dough is in the fridge and I can’t keep my fingers out of it. I used 2 kinds of chips, though. The regular and the bittersweet. Dayam.

108. lori says

Hi,

Sorry for the double post. The first time was from my phone and I couldn’t find the bottom of the blog, so I initially hit reply.

I baked them using coconut oil instead of butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips because I needed to make them dairy free. But they were still the best ever cookies ever. So good, that everyone I know has asked for the recipe. However, when I made them the second time and third time the cookies rose. The second time, the cookies tasted like chocolate chip dinner rolls. The third time, they tasted great, but they still rose and looked like rolls. I can’t figure out why. Anyone know why? Thanks. I can’t get them perfect again.

Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew
    where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding
    one? Thanks a lot!

• Yogi says

My wife thought they were too salty also.. i just eliminated the salt added to the top of the cookie before baking.. still awesome

Hi Cookie Lovers,

I tried making these last night but didn’t realize my cake flour already had pre-added salt in it, so now these taste waaaay too salty. My dough is in the fridge. I don’t want to throw it out, but was wondering if there is any way I can counteract the salt? I really want these to work out (for a friend’s birthday) :)

Thanks,

Jenny

110. Raj says

Thanks for this amazing recipe!

I’ve never baked cookies in my life or really done much baking at all, but even I was able to make these cookies and they turned out awesome! If I make these again, I might follow Kristy’s idea (a few posts up from mine) about mixing regular and bittersweet chocolate chips, since I think I prefer more of a milk chocolate chip cookie than a semisweet one. But yeah, other than that, everything about the recipe was perfect! The size of the cookies, the number of chips to use, sprinkling salt on at the end, all those ideas really were great!

Reading people’s comments helped a lot too – like when I took the dough out of the fridge it was definitely really hard but I let it stay out for a couple of hours to soften before I threw it in the oven.

111. Kathy says

Kate, I just to thank for this outstanding cookie recipe. I made this past weekend for 58 women going to see Beth Moore in Atlanta City. They all really loved them! I had to let them in the frig. For 24 hours, but they still crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. They really liked the coarse sea salt that I sprinkled on the outside of them! Thanks once again!

112. Terri says

I just made these using all-purpose flour because I didn’t have bread or cake flour.. Hope they work out still!

Oh. My. God. I found this recipe over a year ago and lost it! So glad I remembered some key words and Google’d it.
    I have made these cookies in the past (for my graduation party and just because they looked SO freaking good) and I must tell you — this will be the only recipe for chocolate chip cookies that I will ever use. Also, waiting 24-36 hours (albeit a challenge) before baking this lovely concoction is totally worth it.
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe… all of my friends and family thank you as well, haha.

Erectile dysfunction which is also known as ED or impotence means that you can not achieve and/or
    maintain an erection hard enough to have sex.
    Some men have occasional problems when they can not get an erection when for example due
    to tiredness, stress or having drunk too much alcohol.

115. Courtney says

I made these cookies and left them in the fridge for 45 hours cos I had to go out. When I put them in the oven, I knew just how special they were! They are absolutely amazing, such a brilliant recipe. I have them saved on my phone as TOAO (The One And Only) !!!!! LOVE <3

116. Robin Gerardi says

WOW! You are right! I followed the recipe to the letter. I formed and baked six cookies after 27 hours and formed and froze the rest. I fussed at my husband because his response was these are messy cookies! After calling his negative comment to his attention he said “I didn’t say they weren’t good.”. I corrected him and told him they were way beyond good!!!! Thank you for sharing!!! I have a question. Will you get the same effect and great texture if you form them as soon as you make the dough and then chill them for 36 hours? Would make it easier. I had a hard time scooping the dough, even after letting it sit at room temperature. Thank you again. This will be my go to cookie recipe and I don’t know how anyone could improve it!!! I do love the idea of adding walnuts though. Robin

117. omg YUM says

I love to bake, but have always steered clear of chocolate chip cookies because I found them bland and boring. BUT THESE. Oh my goodness, these cookies are the opposite of what I’ve come to associate with chocolate chip. They are pure deliciousness. Sure, the ingredients are a tad bit finicky what with the different flours and salts, and you spend more than you would with your average cookie ingredients, but if you’re looking for a quality recipe, these ladies have found it. I put one in my mom’s lunch box when she went to work, and the first thing she said when she came home was “That cookie was amazing!” The only thing remotely negative I have to say, (and I can’t believe I’m even complaining about this…) is that the recipe made too many cookies! (if such a thing is even possible). Lol I had to bake batches over the span of 4 days, and give most away, because they’re too big and rich for a family of 3. So if you’re not making these for entertaining purposes, and are making them to nom-nom on yourself, then I recommend halving the recipe. But really, I bake a lot, and this is the PERFECT chocolate chip recipe. 5 stars, no question.

118. Marissa says

I made this recipe over the weekend and have decided (as well as my cookie-loving boyfriend) that this will be my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe until further notice. They turned out perfectly. Just one question: this recipe makes a lot of dough and I am a big fan of freezing doughs like this so that I can make a couple cookes at a time over a few months. I thought I’d check to see if anyone has frozen the dough and then baked yet; if so, how was the quality compared to baking after being refridgerated? I am just wondering if it will compromise the outcome at all. I am thinking after 36 hours I will scoop the dough into mounds and freeze. We’ll see how it goes! Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

• Kerri says

I bake all of the cookies and then freeze them in a great freezer bag. My friend freezes the dough in balls. I really think they taste better baking the cookies before freezing.
      I also have to say that baking the cookies right away is just as good as waiting 3 days.
      I’ve had opinions from friends and family…and they can not tell the difference and neither can I.
      When I use nuts, it’s best to not let them sit in the fridge for 3 days because they take on a different flavor which I don’t think is as good.
      Also, in baking these…sometimes they rise and some times they don’t. I’m very particular about these cookies and use the same name brands every time I make these cookies. I really think they seem to rise and bake perfectly when it’s cooler outside and there is very little humidity.
      These cookies are also great with an egg replacer. My son is allergic to eggs and when he visits, I always make a batch of egg free cookies… Excellent!!
      The cookies never last very long…but I love to pull a few already baked cookies from my freezer and let thaw or microwave them if I don’t have time.
      They’re great to have when company decides to drop in!

119. Anonymous says

Just so this gets the correct credit, it’s a recipe from Jacques Torres – the famous chocolatier in NYC. You’ve got “milk” Torres credited at the top of your recipe.

• says

how I have had that link wrong for 3 years I don’t know, ha! I even knew the correct name, it must have been wrong in Shirley’s text.

120. Lea says

Hello, I think I just found the recipe I always wanted to found. I just have a question,
    when its written 1 ¼ cups, is it 1 cup + ¼ cups; or only ¼ cups?

,well im sitting here eating 24hr cookies, last night i made 4hr ones i have no patience, they were good but todays are better, and i bet tommorows will be even better, but i am going to take the leftovers to work or i will eat them myself

122. Andy says

Thank you.

My family always comes to this webpage when we’re making a fresh batch of cookies. It’s been years and thankfully this page is still up. We’re making another batch tonight!

123. SjZ says

Wondering if I am going to freeze – refrigerate first for 36 hrs then freeze or just freeze? Also how long can i keep in freezer? Trying to get some pre-thanksgiving prep done and these are on my list!

124. Yogi says

Yes, air tight good, and I use freezer bags as well…. BUT.. timing your batches made, will usually have none left to store

Hi Kate, I have made these cookies many times and they are awesome (and frequently requested by friends) but I have a question. If I freeze the dough, should I still wait 36hrs after thawing before baking?

126. Faith says

I thought I posted this months ago but must have never gotten around to it! Anyway, I just wanted to share that I’ve recently gone vegan and decided to try this recipe using Earth Balance buttery sticks in place of the butter, and flax “eggs” (1 tbsp flax seed meal : 3 tbsp water, per egg). It was a complete success with the vegan substitutions! I honestly don’t think it tasted any different than the original version, which is FANTASTIC! It’s definitely a fancy cookie – like something you’d buy at a bakery and eat one of… not like something you bake on a whim and eat 6 of.

I know this post is 2 years old, but I’ve made these cookies for work gifts since 2011 and my coworkers LOVE them. This year they even commented “Oh – these are the cookies you made last year and those were GOOD!” So thanks for sharing! Now I always know I have something delicious to bring to food get-togethers!

128. Katie says

Hi Kerri!

Have you or any of the readers reported using cake and all purpose flour? I am in a pinch and while I have cake flour (and Ghiradelli chocolate chips) on hand at all times, I am missing the bread flour! Just wondering if I should risk it and make them or find a different recipe…

Thank you for your help!

Best,
    Katie

129. Marisa says

Made these cookies for the first time on Sunday – mainly as a thank you to a friend who bought me a mixer for Christmas :) They are really amazing – I waited a little more than the 36 hours. That caramel flavour is outrageous and the chewiness is great. We don’t often get nice chewy cookies here in South Africa – they all tend to be hard. Now I have a mixer I will be making these over and over again. Only thing I changed was the choc chips – it’s hard to find good quality here so I smashed 2 bars of 70% Lindt chocolate into chucks and popped them in. Amazing :D

130. Elise says

I followed this recipe and my cookies came out VERY cakey. They were delicious, but like cake, not gooey on the inside and crisp on the outside. Can someone please help and tell me what I’m doing wrong?

• Lily says

I don’t have a mixer and do it all by hand. You will just need to mix the ingredients longer to get the right consistency per the recipe. Also, your hands/arms will every tired. :-)

131. Dakota Davis says

I just made these with regular flour, I cannot afford different flours. I have a very tight grocery budget. I used a large bittersweet bar, chopped and a few peanut butter chips I had left over with half the amount of chocolate chips it asked for. I waited the 36 hours and they are the best CC cookies I ever had. I have to get them out of the house ASAP or they will be gone. FYI they work the same with the regular flour. I did need to let the dough sit out for 4 hours so it was workable. I baked them at 350 for 15 minutes. Delicious! They are my new favorite cookie to bake. Thank you. I cannot wait to make them with nuts next time.

132. virge says

Great cookie! Actually ended up using all bread flour bc its all I had, I only refridged over night…and I forgot salt sprinkle, but they were still fantastic. Bake time is critical!
    Brought them over to a coupke guys and the 20yr old boy comes over with one in each hand, mouth full and goes “I dont know what you did with these cookies, but you did it RIGHT!! This chic is Awesome!!!!”
    Lol yeah, so they were a hit :)

133. M says

You guys, I just put my dough in the fridge to chill, and I realize I COMPLETELY OMITTED the brown sugar! I am the absolute saddest right now. I shouldn’t try to go back and add it… right? But now they won’t have the carmel-y goodness :( Oh man, so much for the cookies I was supposed to bring tmrw…

134. Hayley says

Why are my cookies coming out flat???? :(

Followed all directions. Are they too big? I’m so sad I have to take these to afsmily party and I’m regretting using this recipe. They are so flat and not soft. I baked them less than the time stated too.

Please
    Help.

135. Saira says

I love your cookies, they look so perfect. I baked mine after few hours & they were the BEST so far I have made. Thanks for the lifesaving recipe & I mean it. But for some reason I didn’t get that cracked impression on my cookie tops. Mine had a nice texture but I needed to tap them a bit after I took them out of the oven because I don’t like my cookies too puffy. I took pictures & they look so good like you buy from the bakery.

136. Tara says

I’ve been making (and obsessing over) these cookies since Christmastime 2011. There is really no room for another chocolate chip cookie recipe in my heart after having made these.

This is not *just* a recipe, because the notes at the top are really what will make these cookies come alive. Follow these just as closely as the actual recipe, and your mind will be blown.

Don’t skimp on the chocolate, get the good stuff. Invest in the 2 different flours. I’ve tried this recipe with all purpose white flour once to compare (and because I’m a baking nerd) and there was a literal texture difference in the end. You just can’t beat the way the cake/bread flour cookies turn out.

Bookmark, write down, save on your phone, memorize like your life depended on it… do whatever you do, just keep this recipe.

137. jess2248 says

Thank you so much for this recipe. I use a lot of bread flour and whole wheat flour, but not much else and was wondering if I could use the bread flour for cookies. Is the 24 to 36 hour refrigeration mandatory?? Thanks again, Jessica

138. Melanie says

I got EVERYTHING but decided to make a little change. I used the cake flour but plain flour instead of bread. After reading the whys I bought a box of glutten and added 2or3 Tabs. They were amazing!

139. Sarah says

I just have to say thank you for this recipe. I’ve made them two or three times and they’re always gone within a day. They turn out so perfectly (color, shape, size, texture, taste – everything!), I can hardly believe I made them. By far the best cookies I’ve ever had.
    xx Sarah

140. Morgan says

I made these tonight and was totally happy with them. The recipe didn’t need any alteration. I agree with the author, I like 15-17 minutes at 180C and I even made the cookies slightly smaller as they were turning out the size of my palm! Thanks.

141. JenKran says

I have made this recipe at least 100 times. Never, since the first time, have I made a single batch.
    They have been sent to college, as gifts, for happy reasons and for comfort in times of sadness.
    This is by far THE BEST AND ONLY as far as I am concerned.

Because of this I have on hand ALWAYS home made vanilla, homemade bread and cake flour. I continue to direct my friends to this site because this is by far the best and only.

Thank you Thank you Thank you, I had no idea how incomplete my repertoire was before this recipe.

In fondness and gratitude,
    jen

142. Kestrel says

I have been making these cookies for about a year (which has to be at least 10 batches). They are called Junk Cookies because I add different things besides just chocolate chips…all sorts of good junk.
    Sticking to the 20oz. of stir-ins the original recipe calls for, I usually put in about 4oz of milk- and 4oz of semi- sweets. Then I add about 4oz of butterscotch chips and 4oz. of peanut butter chips.
    My favorite add-ins at this point are usually Mini M&Ms or Reese’s Pieces (1/4C or so) and chopped nuts (I like a mix of pecans/walnuts/almonds so I pre-mix them, chop them and then freeze them in 1/4C batches). This is about 20oz or 2 1/2c.
    I’ve used caramel bits which taste great but just stick to everything – including my Silpat!
    The trick is to keep the whole “junk” total to 20oz (roughly 2 1/2C.) or else you don’t have enough of the dough to make a stable binder and the cookies won’t crumble to everything.
    I always top them with large, coarse salt and bake them off for 10 minutes because my double wall ovens tend to cook hotter, I adjust time and temperature accordingly.
    I’ve added white chips, Heath bits, coconut, cinnamon chips and all sorts of chopped,up candy bars. This is a GREAT recipe for November when you have the last bits of chocolate from Halloween still hanging around.
    I like to make my cookies a little smaller than golf ball size, maybe walnut sized or so. Otherwise the cookies are too big and get to be too much.
    Thanks for the recipe. I would’ve never thought to mix those flours or to let them hang out for a couple days. It makes it actually MORE convenient rather than more difficult. Though each batch tastes a little different, they are all wonderful and the cookies always look absolutely perfect.
    By far my favorite cookie recipe!

143. Jenni says

I’ve made these multiple times, and on each occasion they end up being used as a form of bribery :) Whether I need somebody to do something for me at work, want somebody to come to town to visit me, etc., these always do the trick. Everybody likes something different about them, but they all agree that they’re magical.

Thanks for sharing!

144. Teariffic says

This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing. Will try this tonight, since I have a little luncheon tomorrow. Can’t wait to bring this. Hope they turn out as yummy looking as yours! ^^

145. Naz says

Wow…by far the best chocolate chip ever…my husband who doesn’t even like chocolate chip cookies gobbled them up and said they were too yummy and not to make them again!
    Thanks for sharing!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] this week I happened upon Kate Miss‘s post about The Only Chocolate Chip Cookie I Will Ever Need to Know How to Make for the Rest of My Life. The recipe calls for cake and bread flours, butter, sea salt, Ghiardelli 60% Cacao chips and [...]

2. [...] Kate is an LA based blogger who is always a fabulous source of inspiration. I just tested out a chocolate chip cookie recipe she posted – and let me tell you, so good!! She recently left her job to be a full time [...]

3. [...] MUCH needed down time last night with friends*…I made chocolate chip cookies – and used THIS recipe :)Everyone contributed in some way – it was [...]

4. [...] < Cuisine < glitch Get flash to fully experience Pearltrees The Only Chocolate Chip Cookie I Will Ever Need to Know How to Make For The Rest of My Life | For Me… Thank you all for the wonderful responses to the blog redesign! I’m so glad you like it. As a [...]

5. [...] 01.) Go to the beach. a lot. 02.) Go to The Dinosaur Place. Did you know they also have a splash pad? 03.) Play with sensory boxes 04.) Learn French. JUST KIDDING! Dora’s teaching us Spanish. 05.) Go to the carnival. 06.) Go to the zoo. 07.) Blow bubbles. 08.) Learn to eat popsicles before they melt all over the place (my friend introduced me to this genius thing) 09.) Play more with his friends 10.) Help mommy bake the best cookies in the world [...]

6. [...] post is combining type and cookies! Can’t get much better than that!? I found this recipe on For Me, For You, where Kate Miss shared this recipe she got from a friend, Shirley Hendrickson, whom adapted this [...]

7. [...] sort of day. There are so many recipes for baked goods that I want to try. One is for “The Only Chocolate Chip Cookie I Will Ever Need to Know How to Make For The Rest of My Life“. I like a recipe with confidence. Then there is the one for “Chewy Chocolate [...]