a fundraiser

October 6th, 2011

Some prints from the shop

I’ll preface this for those of you visiting this post from links elsewhere or Etsy by telling you first what this is all about: my boyfriend Will was diagnosed with testicular cancer recently and he is thousands of dollars in debt due to the surgery he had to remove a tumor, tests, doctors visits and all that fun stuff that he was forced to put on his credit card (the hospital refused to bill him). Will is currently unemployed and unable to work because of his condition and is without health insurance until we can get help from the state which will hopefully pay for his chemo.

Will and I are both very overwhelmed by your support and willingness to help us out on my last post about this. So many of you have offered to donate money without any incentive, but we’re not into that idea just yet, so we’re selling some prints of our work as a fundraiser. I’ve opened back up my Etsy shop with some prints of my photos and Will’s collage pieces. If there is any work of ours (Will / Me)  that you don’t see in the shop and you’d like to purchase as a print, email me (katemiss at gmail.com) and I’ll see what I can do. I’ll be re-stocking the prints if they sell out as well.

And please don’t feel obligated or bad if you can’t help out. It pains me to ask for help right now when so many people are hurting financially right now, but so many of you asked if we could do this that it felt right. Spreading the word is much appreciated.

This all being said, you guys mean the world to us right now, from strangers to good friends. It feels like there’s an entire village behind us right now, rooting us on, which floors us. If any good can come of this situation it’s restoring my faith in community and compassion for others, despite what the world may look like when you watch the news.

51 Responses to “a fundraiser”

1. Jane Flanagan Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 9:51 am

Thank you for letting us help.

2. Jen Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 10:06 am

This is a great idea, I’ll be sure to pass this info on to others. I hope this helps ease some of the money troubles so Will can just focus on treatment and recovery. I’ll be thinking good thoughts for both of you.

3. Anabela Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 10:08 am

Yes, thank you, Kate!

4. Nick Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 10:36 am

Found out about this through Patrick Robbins, a friend of Will’s, from a post he did on Facebook. Just purchased a print. Hope it helps. Keep up the faith!

5. Arlie Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 10:36 am

Yes! Passing it on and crossing fingers. I love the Cosmic Flesh!

6. Orchid Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 10:37 am

Thank you Kate! This is an amazing idea!! I’ll make sure to spread the word :)

7. rhiannon Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 10:37 am

i’m blogging about it. hopefully my little corner of the internet will help spread some love your way.

8. Melinda Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 10:50 am

A friend posted a link to this on Facebook, and I’ll do the same. I hope the very best for you and Will. xox

9. Lee Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 11:33 am

Nice! GREAT idea. Please restock the mountain prints when you get a chance – they are so lovely.

10. Sarah Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 11:57 am

Can I put in a request for Wendy eating that rainbow? or any wendy print really.

Best wishes to you both

Sarah

11. Amy@OldSweetSong Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Good, positive, loving thoughts to you both. Off to visit your shop right now.

12. Diana Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 1:29 pm

The hospital refused to bill?? Does this mean they would not have treated if he didn’t have a credit card to put it on? That possibility is leaving me speechless.

13. riye Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I second Sarah–I’d love a picture of Wendy! I’m going over to your shop anyway but thought I’d mention it. :-)

Please don’t be afraid/embarrassed to ask for help. I took care of both my parents when they had cancer and it was a heck of a lot easier when I knew other people were there for me–even if its just an encouraging word it can still be a huge boost. Take care!

14. Lisa Teso Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Oh Kate… Our hearts go out to you and Will. So much love and support coming from our little piece of Portland into your home right now.

Much love, Lisa & Chris Teso

15. ilana Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

thanks for letting us help kate. :)

16. Natalie (Fashion Intel) Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Everyone is sending lots of love your way. Hopefully some of us can send $ too.

17. Jessica / Destined to Design Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Thank you for this Kate! So happy to be able to help in a small way.

18. Alejandra Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Hi Kate! I just bought a print! I think this is a great idea. I wish you best of luck!

19. Laura Noble Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 3:07 pm

you really do have an ‘unseen’ community here :)

20. caroline Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

i’ll be thinking about you guys!

21. Rachel Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Just purchased one of your beach prints. The very least I can do for you both, as I’ve been so constantly inspired by your blog and your photography. wishing you all the best, Rachel

22. Sarah Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Just purchased one of your prints. I’m excited to have a Kate Miss original. Happy to be able to help a little.

23. Kate Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Posted on my Facebook and Tumblr -hope the East Coast shows you some love! I am so sorry about what you are all going through. Hope to help out with your cause and purchase a print. XO

24. Allison Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I’ve snagged one of your lovely prints and shared on Twitter + Facebook. Thoughts and prayers are with you both. I’m glad to help!

25. tricia p Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 6:47 pm

i’m so excited to get one of these!

(p.s. the link for will’s site has a typo and doesn’t connect properly – fyi!)

26. indreams Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 7:48 pm

just got a beautiful print. i will totally re-post this too!

go team will+kate!! :)

27. hila Says:

October 6th, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I’ve already spread the word via pinterest, and would love to spread the word by blogging about it as well. Let me know if that’s ok.

I echo everyone’s sentiments about being glad that we can help in any small way. I’m also fighting some feelings of rage that the hospital refused to bill Will. Not cool.

Take care Kate and Will!

28. jennifer young // i art u Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 12:11 am

so glad you are doing this kate–will definitely spread the word. let us know if you change your mind and want to accept donations…would love to help out.
    j.

29. Everything in Perspective… « all things splendid Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 4:01 am

[...] {Image via For Me, For You} [...]

30. Daniela Valdez Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 4:58 am

the wendy puking rainbow is already on its way!always loved that pic :)

31. Kyoko Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 5:56 am

Hi!
    i always enjoy reading your diary.
    i’ve not noticed what has happened to your boyfriend.
    i hope that he will get well soon.
    So today i visited your etsy shop. I’ll order a beautiful pic from Japan :)

32. stacey Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 6:35 am

you should do your jewelry for the fundraiser too!
    i wish will a speedy and full recovery.

33. Marion Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 6:45 am

Sending you my warmest thoughts and I’ll share this with my friends in order to help.

34. 7 October « the blue hour Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 9:41 am

[...] My friend Kate’s boyfriend Will has been diagnosed with testicular cancer and they need our help. 2. Amit Gupta (the founder of Photojojo) has been diagnosed with acute leukemia and he needs our [...]

35. lizzie Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 9:45 am

Kate, my heart and prayers go out to you and Will. I’ve been so inspired by your blog over the years, and would be so happy to support you both. I love your photos, but currently, my tiny brooklyn apartment’s wall space is jam packed, so I was wondering if there is any chance you will be selling necklaces in the shop? I’ve always loved them, and this would be the perfect reason to purchase one and wear my support for you guys daily.

36. victoria Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 10:48 am

I so hope you will be selling your bracelets as well. I want them as Christmas gifts for all of my girrrrrrls!

37. Weekend To-Do. :: Cassie Boorn Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 2:29 pm

[...] you are looking for a gift or a new piece of art? This couple is selling art to cover their medical bills. [...]

38. Karin Says:

October 7th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

All the best with the fundraiser. I linked to my blog (which has a teeny tiny readership) but thats the fricking awesomeness of the internet isn’t it? In Canberra Australia, we will now be thinking about your story and buying your wonderful artwork and wishing you well.

Karin

39. María Says:

October 9th, 2011 at 7:58 am

My father died of a brain tumour four months ago. I am not saying this to scare you, quite on the contrary I want to give you hope. I live in a country where health care is free so I can’t even imagine what you’re going through: dealing with the sorrow at discovering someone you love is ill and debt. Of course I’ll collaborate with the fundraiser and I am sending you all my positive thoughts.

Keep strong.

40. A Story of Loss and Love and Illness | So Many Places Travel Blog Says:

October 9th, 2011 at 11:37 am

[...] and his girlfriend Kate, who is also an artist and Internet famous, are holding a fundraiser at Kate’s etsy shop.  The sale of Kate and Will’s prints will go to help Will pay for his medical bills.  You [...]

41. jenberry Says:

October 9th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

can we donate without receiving product?

42. simple. | things to tend to Says:

October 10th, 2011 at 7:49 am

[...] an easy way to tend to yourself and to someone else, kate miss of for me,for you has put together a fundraiser to help with unexpected medical bills. i employ magical thinking is my personal favorite, [...]

43. Rachel Diatta Says:

October 10th, 2011 at 11:19 am

Wish I could do more, but the only way I can help right now is by spreading the word, and I sure will do that.

44. Miss Moss : These Things No. 24 Says:

October 10th, 2011 at 1:04 pm

[...] a fundraiser to help will & kate: [...]

45. Monday Printspiration | The Spotted Fox Says:

October 10th, 2011 at 8:00 pm

[...] to raise money to help pay for the medical bills and the upcoming chemo. You can read more about it on her blog.I urge all you all, if you have the money to spare, please buy one of these prints in the shop and [...]

46. On Health Insurance + A Fundraiser « …and Other Such Things Says:

October 11th, 2011 at 7:33 am

[...] to visit the For Me-For You shop.  You can learn more about the fundraiser on her beautiful blog here.  (We just purchased a print of the painting above and I’m so excited for it to [...]

47. Lauren Maxwell Says:

October 11th, 2011 at 11:05 am

You’re just lovely, and I wish you all happiness and healing. I’m spreading the word to my friends: http://laurenmaxwell.blogspot.com/2011/10/two-things.html

Hang in there,

Lauren

48. Charity Says:

October 11th, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I’m sorry to hear of your bad news – my thoughts and prayers are with you. I’ve re-blogged this and hope to buy a print my next pay day!

49. ebb & flow :: fabulous finds & divine designs » Weekend Wrap Up 10.16 Says:

October 16th, 2011 at 5:19 am

[...] • Please consider helping out if you can… [...]

50. Edmundo Maun Says:

November 7th, 2012 at 3:52 pm

American Health Journal is looking for content partnerships with webmasters in the medicine field. American Health Journal is a medical content site which owns three thousand of high quality medical videos. We can offer content exchanges, link exchanges, and exposure to your brand. Get in touch with us at our contact form on our web site.

51. Last Minute Halloween Links - PopBetty Says:

February 17th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

[...] planned on posting about For Me, For You's fundraiser (her boyfriend has cancer, and as freelancers, neither have health insurance). But I didn't [...]