a fundraiser

Some prints from the shop

I’ll preface this for those of you visiting this post from links elsewhere or Etsy by telling you first what this is all about: my boyfriend Will was diagnosed with testicular cancer recently and he is thousands of dollars in debt due to the surgery he had to remove a tumor, tests, doctors visits and all that fun stuff that he was forced to put on his credit card (the hospital refused to bill him). Will is currently unemployed and unable to work because of his condition and is without health insurance until we can get help from the state which will hopefully pay for his chemo.

Will and I are both very overwhelmed by your support and willingness to help us out on my last post about this. So many of you have offered to donate money without any incentive, but we’re not into that idea just yet, so we’re selling some prints of our work as a fundraiser. I’ve opened back up my Etsy shop with some prints of my photos and Will’s collage pieces. If there is any work of ours (Will / Me)  that you don’t see in the shop and you’d like to purchase as a print, email me (katemiss at gmail.com) and I’ll see what I can do. I’ll be re-stocking the prints if they sell out as well.

And please don’t feel obligated or bad if you can’t help out. It pains me to ask for help right now when so many people are hurting financially right now, but so many of you asked if we could do this that it felt right. Spreading the word is much appreciated.

This all being said, you guys mean the world to us right now, from strangers to good friends. It feels like there’s an entire village behind us right now, rooting us on, which floors us. If any good can come of this situation it’s restoring my faith in community and compassion for others, despite what the world may look like when you watch the news.

Comments

1. Jen says

This is a great idea, I’ll be sure to pass this info on to others. I hope this helps ease some of the money troubles so Will can just focus on treatment and recovery. I’ll be thinking good thoughts for both of you.

2. Nick says

Found out about this through Patrick Robbins, a friend of Will’s, from a post he did on Facebook. Just purchased a print. Hope it helps. Keep up the faith!

3. Diana says

The hospital refused to bill?? Does this mean they would not have treated if he didn’t have a credit card to put it on? That possibility is leaving me speechless.

4. riye says

I second Sarah–I’d love a picture of Wendy! I’m going over to your shop anyway but thought I’d mention it. :-)

Please don’t be afraid/embarrassed to ask for help. I took care of both my parents when they had cancer and it was a heck of a lot easier when I knew other people were there for me–even if its just an encouraging word it can still be a huge boost. Take care!

Oh Kate… Our hearts go out to you and Will. So much love and support coming from our little piece of Portland into your home right now.

Much love, Lisa & Chris Teso

Just purchased one of your beach prints. The very least I can do for you both, as I’ve been so constantly inspired by your blog and your photography. wishing you all the best, Rachel

Posted on my Facebook and Tumblr -hope the East Coast shows you some love! I am so sorry about what you are all going through. Hope to help out with your cause and purchase a print. XO

8. tricia p says

i’m so excited to get one of these!

(p.s. the link for will’s site has a typo and doesn’t connect properly – fyi!)

I’ve already spread the word via pinterest, and would love to spread the word by blogging about it as well. Let me know if that’s ok.

I echo everyone’s sentiments about being glad that we can help in any small way. I’m also fighting some feelings of rage that the hospital refused to bill Will. Not cool.

Take care Kate and Will!

Hi!
    i always enjoy reading your diary.
    i’ve not noticed what has happened to your boyfriend.
    i hope that he will get well soon.
    So today i visited your etsy shop. I’ll order a beautiful pic from Japan :)

11. lizzie says

Kate, my heart and prayers go out to you and Will. I’ve been so inspired by your blog over the years, and would be so happy to support you both. I love your photos, but currently, my tiny brooklyn apartment’s wall space is jam packed, so I was wondering if there is any chance you will be selling necklaces in the shop? I’ve always loved them, and this would be the perfect reason to purchase one and wear my support for you guys daily.

All the best with the fundraiser. I linked to my blog (which has a teeny tiny readership) but thats the fricking awesomeness of the internet isn’t it? In Canberra Australia, we will now be thinking about your story and buying your wonderful artwork and wishing you well.

Karin

My father died of a brain tumour four months ago. I am not saying this to scare you, quite on the contrary I want to give you hope. I live in a country where health care is free so I can’t even imagine what you’re going through: dealing with the sorrow at discovering someone you love is ill and debt. Of course I’ll collaborate with the fundraiser and I am sending you all my positive thoughts.

Keep strong.

American Health Journal is looking for content partnerships with webmasters in the medicine field. American Health Journal is a medical content site which owns three thousand of high quality medical videos. We can offer content exchanges, link exchanges, and exposure to your brand. Get in touch with us at our contact form on our web site.

Trackbacks