On Bits Of My Weekend

February 27th, 2012

Meet Winnie

This is not Bits Of My Weekend, and that is because Bits Of My Weekend is going to take a break for a while. I’ve been thinking so much about the purpose of this blog in my life lately – what it was started for, what it has become, and what it will be. It has always been, above and beyond, a creative outlet for me. I wasn’t much of a photographer before this blog, I didn’t make jewelry before this blog, I didn’t have so many amazing connections with creative people before this blog. I credit much of the “success” of my blog (I put that in quotes because I don’t exactly know how to define that) to Bits Of My Weekend. It’s my most popular reoccurring blog series and what people tell me they like the most. So why take a break? My heart just isn’t in it lately, and I’ve always firmly believed that blogging should never be forced. I take photos to fill a blog post and they’re no longer something I truly look forward to doing. Reading Brian’s post about food photography and honesty really hit home for me, I read it right after making this decision and it solidified it. I have a knee-jerk reaction to taking photos of my food and the same photo of a dang cup of coffee and everything is starting to look the same to me. I have to take digital photos because there’s no time to develop film in time for Monday, even though I prefer film and neglect so many of my fun film cameras because there’s just never any time for them when my weekends are spent taking digital for Bits.

What I want is to push myself in terms of photography and step outside of my comfort zone. I want to take my film cameras out more, I want to take more photos of people, I want to stop being nervous about pulling my camera out in certain situations even though I so badly want to capture a moment. I want to not be confined to time restraints like weekends and I want to step away from so many photos of my meals – and who am I kidding – my cat. I live in a beautiful place with endless treasures to be found – I want to go on day trips just to take photos. I want to be inspired. I want to be more serious about my photography. Less snapshots (I’ll leave that for Instagram), more thoughtfulness.

So what this all means is that photo posts will be looser, less scheduled. I know I don’t need to justify this all to you guys, you support me no matter what I do with my blog (for the most part, wink!) because you’re so awesome like that. This is really just me making a promise to myself, putting it on record. I realize that my weekend posts are my one outlet for personal stories on my blog, but don’t worry, I’ll still share personal bits, maybe even more, through random posts. There’s even one coming later today.

Onwards!

I used this photo above of a girl I met in NYC wearing one of my necklaces for this post because it’s sort of my gold standard for the type of photos I want to take more of. I think it was the first time I’ve ever asked a stranger if I could take their photo.

PS. There was a glitch with the shop update this weekend and it was about 30 minutes late. I apologize if you came and tried to purchase something and gave up! There are still some necklaces left – including brass drops. I made more than usual this time. Thank you to everyone who did snag one!

35 Responses to “On Bits Of My Weekend”

1. julia Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 8:16 am

congrats on this decision kate! i’m sure it feels nervewracking to put one your most popular features on hold, but anyone who loves your blog will love anything authentic that you post. i, for one, am looking forward to more film and seeing how you explore these new goals of yours. keep the good stuff coming!

2. Amber Shaw Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 8:27 am

No matter the changes you make, each step is inspiring. I am still delighted to tag along during your journey. Enjoy!

3. Erleene Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 8:37 am

I love your bits posts because your images are great! But I understand and completely agree that blogging shouldn’t be forced. It’s a tough balance at times though, because you do want to create original quality content, and that does take effort.

4. indreams Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 8:51 am

i know what you mean about the knee-jerk reaction…since i tend to shoot everything in polaroid, i started getting down when i’d see something that would work so perfectly as a shot, and not have my camera around to capture it. it was especially frustrating, since i’ve been stuck in a really creatively-stifling job, and that was one of my only outlets. but once i realized that i was pretty much freaking out over nothing, and that, really, there are other ways of being+feeling creative, i started to evaluate my need to bring my cameras with me everywhere, and why i felt the need to capture something on film when i could just experience it, love it, and have nothing to show for it afterwards. i guess as bloggers we feel compelled to put verity on show, but it takes its toll after a while! so congrats on your decision. i think change is healthy! and i support the shooting-what-you-want-when-you-want lifestyle. :)

Kate Reply:

It’s so true, I get a bit wrapped up in capturing moments rather than just experiencing them. It felt kind of amazing this weekend to just let it be.

indreams Reply:

hmm, maybe we need to institute ‘let it be’ weekends? ha.

and either way, i’m looking forward to seeing whatever shots you post next, even if it is just cute shots of wendy. (or maybe especially if it is? haha.)

5. Inês Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 8:58 am

I couldn’t agree more! A while ago, I really thought my blog would be better if I forced myself into posting something everyday, and eventually I started to feel somewhat detached from it. Now, if I don’t feel like posting anything for a week, I won’t, and if I’m into making inspirational posts almost everyday, I will. I’m happier that way, and I think the readers can see it.

6. Vanessa Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 9:27 am

There must be something in the water, because so many bloggers (myself included) seem to be reevaluating their blogs and even taking time away. I completely agree with you that it should feel forced, it should be a joy, a contribution to your life. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your film photography!

7. Vanessa Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 9:40 am

It seems that only in the blog world do I find so many other Vanessa’s! (referring to the commenter above me!) I get a little tickled to see my name.

I’m a newer reader of yours and I definitely do love your weekend posts, but I am in full support of challenging yourself and doing what makes you happy. Challenging yourself in the beginning is tough, but the rewards are so great.

Can’t wait to see the fruits of your labor :)

8. Jacquelyn | lark&linen Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 9:49 am

I do a scenes from my weekend each week on my blog and I’ve been feeling the exact same way. I never want to get to the point where I feel as if my weekend was not exciting if I didn’t get out of my pyjamas. I don’t want to give it up entirely, but I am starting to feel the pressure to “perform” for the blog – which is never a good thing! Anyway, all I’m saying is this post truly hit home for me – I need to think about what my next move is. Thank you for the inspiration!

9. Claire * lolaisbeauty Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 9:53 am

I hear you on that! I’m also having this kind of reevaluating phase/shift and I’ve taken a step back from my blog recently. It does seem to be something in the air, especially where images are concerned.

Here’s to film, thoughtfulness, inspiration and freestyle scheduling!

x

10. Jacqueline J. Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 10:01 am

Behind you all the way.

11. Kate Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 10:04 am

First time posting here…or on any blog for that matter; I too love taking photos with my good old fashioned film camera but sometimes feel odd or uncomfortable whipping out my 35mm to capture a moment in this age of teenie tiny digital cameras. So thanks for inspiring me to just go for it!
    Best of luck

12. Anne Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 10:09 am

What you said resonated with me because I’ve been extremely bored with my photography subjects lately. I want to become a professional photographer, but I’ve been limiting myself to photos of my daily life (coffee, food, plants etc) and while I do love some of them, it’s not challenging. A few days ago, I took photos of my husband’s band and I felt happier than I’ve ever felt with a camera in my hand. That’s when I knew that it was time to make a change. I’m usually too shy to ask people if I can take their photo, and I’ve been thinking of a photo project that I’m too shy to actually carry out.
    I was also often stuck trying to come up with overarching themes to my photos before I could post them to my blog and decided to just post the damn photos one by one with a few words.
    I hope you find what makes you happy blog and photography wise. I’ll keep reading.

Anne

13. vanessa r. Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 10:24 am

hi! another vanessa here, hehe.
    even though my blog is not at all popular, i started to feel the same way as you, pushing myself to share, share and do it almost daily. and i think it’s so natural to start feeling overwhelmed with pressure and tired of something when
    it’s not done because you just love it and can’t wait to share or do it.
    when i started to get tired of posting and noticed myself posting a lot of film and especially photos i took of nature hikes i do almost every week, i decided to combine the two: photos and hikes, and i do love to shoot film on my walks and even more sharing them.

i’m exited for you and to see your film photography, i too love love love film, i think film makes you consider more what you shoot and to just take the very special photos.

14. Becca Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 11:00 am

I’m excited to see what you’ll be coming up with.

I’m new to blogging and think one of the best things about it is the challenges it brings with inspiring yourself and others. I love that you are thinking about this and making an effort to evolve what you do. Thank you for the inspiration!

15. zivar Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 11:47 am

yes. i can very much relate to this space that you are in.. i am working with my photography and have decided to return to the pure pleasure it offers me, all by myself. instead of sharing right away, i am holding it and returning to my creativity and the spontaneity it offers without worry if it will be received and understood.. an interesting movement.

all the best of luck as you venture into this new place.. i have a feeling it will be highly fruitful.

16. Rachel (heart of light) Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 2:52 pm

You’re a smart lady and you have to do what is right for you in any given moment.

I tend to let it come and go. If I feel like I’m in a rut, sometimes I’ll step back and sometimes I’ll decide to push through (and I have no idea how I make that decision – it’s a gut thing).

I always resolve to get better about snapping people pics. Although I do love the still life documentation of my months and years. The pictures tend to show a surface story, but they mean more to me because I remember how I felt when I took a picture or who else was in the room with me, or where we were. But that means the pictures end up being more personally meaningful than they appear. And I go back and forth on whether this is what I want or whether I’m being totally ridiculous for even spending so much time thinking about it.

17. Francine Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Good decision. I’m kind of against doing weekly features on my blog. I just want to write what I want when I want, and not have to worry about having something ready for a particular day. Just keep having fun with it! We’ll still be along for the ride.

18. vanessa Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

lovely portrait! best of luck with your challenges and changes. Personally, I think that is what creativity should be all about: stepping out of your comfort zone, experimenting, and surprising your self. As soon as it gets too easy, switch it up!

But ultimately, it’s all about what you enjoy. I’m excited to see the projects and shoots that excite you! Look forward to being inspired :-)

19. Allison Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I bet it feels so freeing! Excited to see what you come up with while inspired.

20. anja Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I’m stoked on all of these ideas, new directions. That photo you chose to use with this post is probably my all-time favorite of yours, it has that nice combination of feeling friendly, personal (even if it was a stranger!) and just generally pleasing to the eye. :)

It’s never a bad idea develop your eye/skillz. I’ve banned myself from using anything but full manual mode on my digital camera (after years of lazy aperture priority), and I’m really glad I did. It’s funny how shooting on film is almost easier sometimes because you have fewer options (can’t change your ISO, not as many shutter speeds, at least on my camera!). I hope you do more medium format, I loved the few that you’ve shared in the past.

21. Bailey Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

This is how I’ve been lately, also. I stopped forcing everything and let my blog sit for a little bit. I am tired of the “I have to post at least every other day even if I have nothing I need to say” feeling. Beyond posting, and in my photography as well.
    Thank you for this post!

22. Lucent Imagery Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I recently wrote a post on my blog about the things I learnt from my previous blog. One of the things I learnt was that I never wanted to set an expectation that then felt like an obligation. I have loose recurring themes in posts but I don’t commit to doing it each week etc so that it can be fun and stress-free and inspired. Perhaps it is that lack of commitment to a recurring post theme that makes my blog less “successful” but I can live with that if it means that I continue to love my space and the people in it. I think it’s great that you’re being honest with yourself and sharing it with all of us fans here. The fact still stands that you take gorgeous photos and I look forward to seeing the new directions you take. I adore this photo of the girl in your necklace!

23. Kate {Something Fabulous} Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I totally respect your decision! Blogging should never be forced, and you’ve really inspired me. I think I speak on behalf of all of your readers when I say that we will always enjoy your posts – Bits of my Weekend or not! x

24. haley Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 9:44 pm

good for you kate!

I hate that feeling of nervousness or embarrassment when you want to take a picture of something. I’m going to think of you when that happens and remember I’m not the only one! … and then hopefully do what i want and not give a crap :)

25. ailsa Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 10:11 pm

i like all your other posts better anyway! i think it’s so much nicer to read a post with a bit more meaning, like, ‘here is something i made myself’, rather than just ‘here is some food i ate and a place i went’. i love hearing about your jewellery-making endeavours, and your inspirations, and music posts, and i really love the DIY post above. i’m excited to see where your blog will go now. xx

26. ilana Says:

February 27th, 2012 at 11:04 pm

kate, this all just sounds like normal growth to me! you began making jewelry & taking pictures because of the blog and it’s only natural that you should eventually outgrow that as well – at least as far as jewelry & pics are concerned.. :)

Do what excites you! Certainly if you’re psyched about it, everyone else will be as well.

Sounds like you’re most definitely making the right move.

Can’t wait to see what comes of these changes!!

xx

27. Kate Says:

February 28th, 2012 at 12:23 am

Looking forward to more of your film photography :) I’ve been really enjoying your pictures of hidden LA.

28. mette / ungt blod Says:

February 28th, 2012 at 2:51 am

sounds like a good plan for this spring! Sometimes I can’t help falling into the ‘taking-photos-to-fill-the-blog’ mode, but it is good to fight it and actually take photos because they give you a creative fulfilment

29. BF Says:

February 28th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I am so damn happy to hear that my post had a positive effect on you – what you’re saying here makes complete sense. It’s funny that I wrote about food, because I think what I said really applies to non-food photography, too. You clearly understood that, and I know exactly what you mean here. I’ve been slowly adjusting my blogging habits so that they work for me, too. If we don’t, then what’s the point?

Do what you want, when you want – your considered and more mindful approach will certainly show here.

(Also, more film! YES.)

30. Darcy Says:

February 29th, 2012 at 11:26 am

I know exactly how you’re feeling. Recently I’ve tried to neglect my digital camera and only bring a film camera on whatever adventure I’m going on. It makes you think more about the images you’re making and lets them have more of a purpose. Plus, even technology can’t out do a good roll of film.

31. bigBANG studio Says:

February 29th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Been thinking a lot about Brian’s quest for original food photography and a quest among many, it seems, for original content, period. We all got into this blogging thing to share something we felt was original, special, worth saying, in the first place, right? When it feels contrived of forced or boring it’s a signal to take a deep breath a pause…

So I’m totally down for some original DOWN-TIME, too- BoUrWknd is great, but it’s the BITZ OF KATE that I love the most, so these posts just make me want to give you the biggest hug and a stiff drink. XO, lady.

32. Banana Meet-Cute Says:

March 5th, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Some blogs that post every day, or have regular features can feel a bit forced sometimes. Not that I’ve ever felt that way about your ‘bits of my weekend posts’ though! I always enjoy reading them, but I don’t think bloggers should feel under pressure to keep up with a schedule, blogging should be for fun!

I am trying to overcome my awkwardness about taking photos in public too. I’m always less self conscious about it when I’m on holiday. Like last week when I was taking a photo of my food at a cafe and I heard the guy at the next table saying ‘better hurry up before it gets cold’ ! I think he was trying to be funny but I completely ignored him!

33. Natalie (Fashion Intel) Says:

March 7th, 2012 at 12:42 am

Looking forward to it all.