Bits Of My Weekend: Coachella

April 16th, 2012

my Instagram photos

You’re probably sick of hearing about it, but we’re back from Coachella and I figured it was worth a little Bits Of My Weekend reunion. We could only take one work day off and afford a hotel for two nights, and in hindsight we both wish we’d skipped Friday (rainy, freezing, meh lineup) and stayed Sunday night because we had to miss some amazing acts to leave at five that day. The experience overall was interesting – all weekend we kept going back and forth between “I am never doing this again” and “this is amazing”. At first I was so annoyed with everything – the ridiculous amount of people, the half naked teenagers, the frat boy crowds – but I when St. Vincent played I decided I’d get there super early and put my claustrophobia aside and worm my way up as close as I could get. This proved to be an excellent idea because the show was life changing it was so amazing (seriously) and being that close and feeling everyone around me excited was such a high. I did that for two other shows - tUnE-yArDs and First Aid Kit – and had the best time. But I didn’t have the energy for that every time and when you’re far away and people are stomping on your fingers it’s not particularly pleasant. So I guess it’s just what you make of it and how much energy you want to put into having a good time and trying best to be zen about all the BS. Plus, we had a Shields date shake every day, so that helped.

19 Responses to “Bits Of My Weekend: Coachella”

1. Brandi Says:

April 16th, 2012 at 10:58 am

I’m going to see tUnE-yArDs and St Vincent next week when they are in town, glad to hear that they put on a good show.

2. Francine Says:

April 16th, 2012 at 11:08 am

You basically summed up festivals for me. It really is about how much “work” you put into zoning out and just enjoying. Otherwise you could go crazy.

And I LOOOVE First Aid Kit now thanks to your blog! You first mentioned them a while ago and got me hooked. Thanks!

3. Katie Says:

April 16th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

dying to see First Aid Kit. The weekend at least sounds memorable!

4. Kate {Something Fabulous} Says:

April 16th, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Amazing photos! You basically summarised the whole festival perfectly for me. Oh and I just love your nails!

5. bigBANG studio Says:

April 16th, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Merrill Garbus is from a different planet. She is AMAZING. Totally amazing. I guess I have a thing for drum loops.

Also: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/top-10-douchebags-at-coachella

6. Ozge Says:

April 17th, 2012 at 4:06 am

You are an inspiration Kate! Look at this beautiful nail polish and amazing make up. I wish I could as half well taking care of my looks. I truly admire that you can do these by yourself! Would love it if you share your secrets ;)

I really like the festival photos too! I am also someone who never likes crowds, and big festivals. Applaud for your courage ;)

Cheers, Ozge

7. nova Says:

April 17th, 2012 at 9:59 am

But here’s the question on all of our minds: did you see the hologram tupac shakur or not? hahaha

Kate Reply:

Sadly, no, since we had to leave early!

8. Natalie (Fashion Intel) Says:

April 17th, 2012 at 1:20 pm

HOORAY!

9. Heidi Says:

April 18th, 2012 at 5:16 am

Those date shakes are addictive! My parents got me hooked on them and had a box of dates sent to me and my sister for Christmas one year. Did you watch the film they have there? It used to be so much more entertaining but it’s still pretty clever.

Kate Reply:

No, we didn’t go to the actual location, they had a booth inside Coachella. It was probably twice as expensive, ha!

10. Beth Says:

April 20th, 2012 at 12:44 am

I had very similar feelings at Coachella last weekend. Old and cold. But fun to experience.

11. A Says:

April 20th, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Ridiculous amounts of people? ha…what were you expecting?! Of course there’s going to be alot of people, it’s a music festival!

Kate Reply:

I never said I wasn’t expecting that, but I’ve been to music festivals in the past and have never seen that many people before in my life. The attendance broke records. Just because it’s to be expected doesn’t mean I can’t be annoyed with it, jeez.

12. A Says:

April 20th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

whoa whoa, wasn’t attacking you! have a nice evening.

13. aline Says:

April 20th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

long time since i’ve been here, and i got so glad to see your Will full-bearded, kate! (:

Kate Reply:

I know, right? it’s back and then some!! :)

14. Paige Says:

April 23rd, 2012 at 3:25 am

You look fantastic in these photos! How did you do your nails? I would love to copy this look. Thanks Kate!

Kate Reply:

use french manicure stickers or hole punch stickers on your nails and paint the tips!