Bits Of My Weekend: Coachella

my Instagram photos

You’re probably sick of hearing about it, but we’re back from Coachella and I figured it was worth a little Bits Of My Weekend reunion. We could only take one work day off and afford a hotel for two nights, and in hindsight we both wish we’d skipped Friday (rainy, freezing, meh lineup) and stayed Sunday night because we had to miss some amazing acts to leave at five that day. The experience overall was interesting – all weekend we kept going back and forth between “I am never doing this again” and “this is amazing”. At first I was so annoyed with everything – the ridiculous amount of people, the half naked teenagers, the frat boy crowds – but I when St. Vincent played I decided I’d get there super early and put my claustrophobia aside and worm my way up as close as I could get. This proved to be an excellent idea because the show was life changing it was so amazing (seriously) and being that close and feeling everyone around me excited was such a high. I did that for two other shows - tUnE-yArDs and First Aid Kit – and had the best time. But I didn’t have the energy for that every time and when you’re far away and people are stomping on your fingers it’s not particularly pleasant. So I guess it’s just what you make of it and how much energy you want to put into having a good time and trying best to be zen about all the BS. Plus, we had a Shields date shake every day, so that helped.

Comments

You basically summed up festivals for me. It really is about how much “work” you put into zoning out and just enjoying. Otherwise you could go crazy.

And I LOOOVE First Aid Kit now thanks to your blog! You first mentioned them a while ago and got me hooked. Thanks!

You are an inspiration Kate! Look at this beautiful nail polish and amazing make up. I wish I could as half well taking care of my looks. I truly admire that you can do these by yourself! Would love it if you share your secrets ;)

I really like the festival photos too! I am also someone who never likes crowds, and big festivals. Applaud for your courage ;)

Cheers, Ozge

3. Heidi says

Those date shakes are addictive! My parents got me hooked on them and had a box of dates sent to me and my sister for Christmas one year. Did you watch the film they have there? It used to be so much more entertaining but it’s still pretty clever.

4. A says

Ridiculous amounts of people? ha…what were you expecting?! Of course there’s going to be alot of people, it’s a music festival!

• says

I never said I wasn’t expecting that, but I’ve been to music festivals in the past and have never seen that many people before in my life. The attendance broke records. Just because it’s to be expected doesn’t mean I can’t be annoyed with it, jeez.

5. Paige says

You look fantastic in these photos! How did you do your nails? I would love to copy this look. Thanks Kate!