Cold Brew Magic

I’m not on top of blogging this week because I have to take 2.5 days off next week so I’m making up for it this week (blah blah blah), but I’d like to take a moment to say: cold brew coffee, where have you been all my life? Not only are you so delicious and dangerously strong that I feel like I’m partaking in an illegal drug, but the lower amount of acidity it results in makes my stomach thank me. Normally coffee destroys my stomach, but like hell I’m giving it up because of such discomfort. Coffee is like a small business owner’s mascot, you know? So anyway, go make some. Now. It’s worth the wait and hilarious amount of grounds it requires at once.

I used Alana’s Ethiopian beans I got through my subscription to the LA Coffee Club.

Comments

That looks amazing. I haven’t tried cold brew coffee yet, but I’m actually purposefully avoiding it until I get to NY next month so as not to spoil it for myself with some rubbish British imitation!.

I’ve never looked back once I realized I could make my own cold brew at home. It’s so nice to have coffee waiting in the morning!

Welcome to my world. Isn’t it a game-changer? Mkay, now: sweeten it with maple syrup (the real stuff) instead of sugar and add a drop of almond extract.

You’re welcome.

• says

I’m a sugar free (like, literally, not fake sugar shit) coffee drinker, but maple syrup sounds AWFULLY tempting in this!

I just tried some last week, it was so intense. I think it will take a little getting used to for me, a novice coffee drinker. But my husband is a keen coffee man and loved it. We went to a Latte Art competition – it was awesome! Have you ever been to one?

Oh man, I’m not a huge coffee drinker but I love cold brew iced coffee. I’ve never tried it at home because I will probably get addicted to it big time. My mom moved to San Francisco last year and every time she visits she brings us bags of Blue Bottle beans, who makes the most amazing New Orleans iced coffee.

• says

My friend Lisa was just telling me tonight that they sell Blue Bottle’s New Orleans iced coffee at Forage! I really want to try it.

• says

oh wow, that sounds DANGEROUS! I already can’t have more than one cup or I’m so jittery I might explode, but I imagine that would be so delicious I’d drink 8.

Coffee is my drug and there’s no way I’m giving it up. Heck, without it, I probably wouldn’t be able to write (or function for that matter). There’s a place near my house that makes the best cold brew coffee – we’re a bit obsessed with restaurants and cafes, us Australians, there are tons of them around.

I’ve been thinking about trying to cold brew coffee as it warms up, and seeing it done here is giving me the kick to finally try it. Also, the LA Coffee Club sounds great.

Come the warmest months in LA, I keep a steady jug of this delicious cold press elixir in my fridge at all times. Sometimes I make a sweet treat and stir in a bit of agave nectar, but mostly it’s coconut creamer and ice and I’m good to go. I think you just inspired my first of the year jug with this post.

9. kelly says

ok, two things:

1. LA COFFEE CLUB?! I had no idea such a thing was a thing! Sign me up!
    2. 2.5 days off this week! ME TOO! Dude, I’m so ready for this thing to happen already this week is useless.

• says

It’s pretty awesome, you should sign up!! I love supporting local LA rad things like this.
        1.5 of those days are doing away from my computer work things, but 1 day – Coachella!! See you there maybe? Is it even possible to run into people you know there in the sea of insanity?

10. Jo-elle says

Hello Kate,

I love you website. I just had a question for you. Do you use hot or cold water when you brew your iced coffee?

Thanks,

Jo-Elle

• says

Hi Jo-Elle, If you click on the recipe I linked to it will give you all the details, but cold brew is called cold brew because you use cold water.

Trackbacks