Cold Brew Magic

April 5th, 2012

I’m not on top of blogging this week because I have to take 2.5 days off next week so I’m making up for it this week (blah blah blah), but I’d like to take a moment to say: cold brew coffee, where have you been all my life? Not only are you so delicious and dangerously strong that I feel like I’m partaking in an illegal drug, but the lower amount of acidity it results in makes my stomach thank me. Normally coffee destroys my stomach, but like hell I’m giving it up because of such discomfort. Coffee is like a small business owner’s mascot, you know? So anyway, go make some. Now. It’s worth the wait and hilarious amount of grounds it requires at once.

I used Alana’s Ethiopian beans I got through my subscription to the LA Coffee Club.

25 Responses to “Cold Brew Magic”

1. Erica Says:

April 5th, 2012 at 10:15 am

I am so excited to try a cold brew!

2. Siubhan Says:

April 5th, 2012 at 10:26 am

That looks amazing. I haven’t tried cold brew coffee yet, but I’m actually purposefully avoiding it until I get to NY next month so as not to spoil it for myself with some rubbish British imitation!.

Kate Reply:

You must go to Stumptown, 9th St Espresso and/or Cafe Grumpy and stock up on beans when you’re there!!

Siubhan Reply:

Ooh, I definitely will. Thanks Kate!

3. Abby Says:

April 5th, 2012 at 10:50 am

I’ve never looked back once I realized I could make my own cold brew at home. It’s so nice to have coffee waiting in the morning!

4. Kate {Something Fabulous} Says:

April 5th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I haven’t tried this yet, but it looks good!

5. bigBANG studio Says:

April 5th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Welcome to my world. Isn’t it a game-changer? Mkay, now: sweeten it with maple syrup (the real stuff) instead of sugar and add a drop of almond extract.

You’re welcome.

Kate Reply:

I’m a sugar free (like, literally, not fake sugar shit) coffee drinker, but maple syrup sounds AWFULLY tempting in this!

6. Lucent Imagery Says:

April 5th, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I just tried some last week, it was so intense. I think it will take a little getting used to for me, a novice coffee drinker. But my husband is a keen coffee man and loved it. We went to a Latte Art competition – it was awesome! Have you ever been to one?

7. Sara/Matchbox Kitchen Says:

April 5th, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Oh man, I’m not a huge coffee drinker but I love cold brew iced coffee. I’ve never tried it at home because I will probably get addicted to it big time. My mom moved to San Francisco last year and every time she visits she brings us bags of Blue Bottle beans, who makes the most amazing New Orleans iced coffee.

Kate Reply:

My friend Lisa was just telling me tonight that they sell Blue Bottle’s New Orleans iced coffee at Forage! I really want to try it.

8. Judith Says:

April 5th, 2012 at 10:55 pm

You have to try this. So magical…

Kate Reply:

oh wow, that sounds DANGEROUS! I already can’t have more than one cup or I’m so jittery I might explode, but I imagine that would be so delicious I’d drink 8.

9. Hila Says:

April 5th, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Coffee is my drug and there’s no way I’m giving it up. Heck, without it, I probably wouldn’t be able to write (or function for that matter). There’s a place near my house that makes the best cold brew coffee – we’re a bit obsessed with restaurants and cafes, us Australians, there are tons of them around.

10. Fashion News & Highlights: 4/6 Says:

April 6th, 2012 at 7:14 am

[...] you’re an iced coffee addict like me, this recipe might change your [...]

11. Thumb-sucker - Passover dessert - Lifetime Moms Posts | Bunny and Dolly Says:

April 6th, 2012 at 8:03 am

[...] Maybe I’ll wash ‘em down with a tall glass of cold-brewed iced coffee. [...]

12. Sally Says:

April 6th, 2012 at 9:58 am

I’ve been thinking about trying to cold brew coffee as it warms up, and seeing it done here is giving me the kick to finally try it. Also, the LA Coffee Club sounds great.

13. Autumn Says:

April 6th, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Come the warmest months in LA, I keep a steady jug of this delicious cold press elixir in my fridge at all times. Sometimes I make a sweet treat and stir in a bit of agave nectar, but mostly it’s coconut creamer and ice and I’m good to go. I think you just inspired my first of the year jug with this post.

14. Magali Says:

April 7th, 2012 at 5:26 am

I am so new to this coffee thing as a whole. What do you use to brew yours? A french press?

15. Ashlee Says:

April 8th, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Definitely trying this! It sounds yummy! Thanks for the post!

xo,
    ashlee

16. kelly Says:

April 9th, 2012 at 9:32 am

ok, two things:

1. LA COFFEE CLUB?! I had no idea such a thing was a thing! Sign me up!
    2. 2.5 days off this week! ME TOO! Dude, I’m so ready for this thing to happen already this week is useless.

kelly Reply:

just re-read my comment. so many “things” — so annoying!

Kate Reply:

It’s pretty awesome, you should sign up!! I love supporting local LA rad things like this.
    1.5 of those days are doing away from my computer work things, but 1 day – Coachella!! See you there maybe? Is it even possible to run into people you know there in the sea of insanity?

17. Jo-elle Says:

April 15th, 2012 at 9:18 am

Hello Kate,

I love you website. I just had a question for you. Do you use hot or cold water when you brew your iced coffee?

Thanks,

Jo-Elle

Kate Reply:

Hi Jo-Elle, If you click on the recipe I linked to it will give you all the details, but cold brew is called cold brew because you use cold water.