Weekend Recipe: Sweet Potato Bread

I whipped up some sweet potato bread out of boredom last night that was super easy and crazy delicious. If you’ve never had it before, it’s a lot like pumpkin bread, but I found this to possibly be even better. I thought it would make a great weekend recipe – perfect for a snack or breakfast with an egg on top. I have some chai jelly I got at the food swap that is heavenly on top. Sweet potatoes are probably my favorite vegetable on this earth and we eat them like there’s no tomorrow. I buy huge bags of them so I always have them on hand.

Sweet Potato Bread

• 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 heaping cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (a bit more than a cup, more like 1 1/4) * I left mine a little chunky so the bread would have some texture to it.
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional, I didn’t use them) I suspect coconut would be good in this, maybe golden raisins.

* The original recipe called for white flour and 1 cup cooked sweet potatoes, but I used whole wheat so I upped the sweet potatoes a bit so it wouldn’t be too dry.

You can either boil the peeled, chopped sweet potatoes or roast them. Your choice. While I’m sure roasting them takes this to the next level as sweet potatoes get downright caramel-y when they’re roasted, I was impatient and boiled them and it still tastes like perfection.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, set aside. In a separate bowl, combine sugar and butter; mix well. Add eggs and beat. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with water. Stir in sweet potatoes and chopped nuts.
  2. Pour batter into greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. Bake for about one hour.

Comments

this sounds delicious right now. plus, the idea of having it straight out of the oven, with butter melting on it, is making me have trouble typing. yumm!

Since you buy so many of them, I was just wondering what your favorite things to make with sweet potatoes are. I tend to like more savory things with them, like a feta salad, but would love some suggestions since I just bought 2 with nothing in mind. Thanks! (btw, I went to the same lost in the trees show at the echo – amazing)

• says

honestly, I roast them nearly every time! olive oil + sea salt, sometimes a bit of rosemary. Sometimes I use an immersion blender on them, but usually we just eat them like that.

• says

Thanks Kate! I followed your lead – peeled, cubed, olive oil, salt, rosemary and roasted. Then I mixed with quinoa and those giant white beans from Trader Joe’s. Yum. I will definitely be trying this bread in the future.

3. Martina says

Kate, I just want to say lovely blog! As a LA native now living in the midwest, your pictures make me homesick. :) I made this bread with white whole wheat flour, bit of milk, and chocolate chips this past weekend and it was wonderful with a cup of tea. Thanks for sharing!

4. Kaylee says

I made this and LOVED it. SO moist and delicious. I too boiled mine in an effort to save time but roasting them would be amazing. Thanks for the recipe!

YUM! I made this bread on Sunday after seeing the recipe here. I added raisins and walnuts and it is so delicious. I’ve enjoyed it for breakfast every morning this week! Thanks for posting.

6. Amber says

I just made this recipe and it’s a bit too sweet for me. I’ll probably cut the sugar a little bit next time but I will definitely make it again. I like to cook my potatoes in the microwave. Stab it with a fork a few times, wrap it in a paper towel and wet it. Then just throw it in the microwave for about six or seven minutes until soft. It’s nice, clean and easy and the steam cleans off all the crud your microwave so you can clean it right after.

7. Tracy says

Just made the Sweet Potato Bread sans nuts. Just my personal preference. OMG!! Delicious and so moist!
    I make a really, really good Sweet Potato Cake so I’m already a big fan. Thanks for sharing.

8. Sophy says

Yum yum! Made three loaves of this bread today, with leftover mashed sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving. Great recipe; thanks!! Since my family loves chocolate, I added 8 oz. of dark chocolate chunks. Delicious with eggnog! Definitely a keeper.

Trackbacks

1. [...] Weekend Recipe: Sweet Potato Bread | For Me, For You I whipped up some sweet potato bread out of boredom last night that was super easy and crazy delicious. If you’ve never had it before, it’s a lot like pumpkin bread, but I found this to possibly be even better. I thought it would make a great weekend recipe – perfect for a snack or breakfast with an egg on top. I have some chai jelly I got at the food swap that is heavenly on top. Sweet potatoes are probably my favorite vegetable on this earth and we eat them like there’s no tomorrow. hello luvs, so glad you guys enjoyed our post and video about us using the equalizer. seriously loving it. we are so happy with this new addition to our home workouts. we know the price can be an issue for some people (we were the same way, we debated for months) but then we realized we have this for life!! we have been increasing our intensity of our workouts, with some days doing a mini second workout. therefore, we have been increasing our protein. well our calories in general. as we gain more muscle our appetite goes through the roof. we eat every 2-4 hours. we try to aim for 3 hours but does not always happen. –>read more here about our diet changes . [...]