A Visit From Sara of Matchbox Kitchen

May 3rd, 2012

Last week during office day (in which Jessica works in my apartment, super helpful for productivity), Sara of Matchbox Kitchen stopped by and brought us a cake. Sara is an amazing baker, if you are not aware, and apparently the downside (??!) to being a baker is that you end up eating everything you bake. Ok, I get that, it probably starts to get ridiculous after a while. I told her that Jessica and I would gladly help her eat things as that’s what friends are for. It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it. I told her she could force cake upon us if I could take photos of her pretty cake. Deal. She came over on a gloomy afternoon and when she pulled that perfect beauty out of the box, it lit up the room and there was definitely lots of ohhhhhs and ahhhhs.

The slow reveal.

Sara shares:

—-

I just keep making cakes to practice different recipes, techniques, and flavor combinations. It is a simple vanilla cake with a light lemon cream filling, covered in vanilla swiss meringue buttercream. The lemon cream is one of my favorite things because it’s similar to a lemon curd but mounted with more butter to give it a lighter, smoother flavor and texture.

Sara used this cake recipe.

lemon cream recipe:

adapted from Tartine
1/4 c fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs
3 oz sugar (about 3/8 c)
2 oz butter (1/2 stick)

With a stainless steel or glass (pyrex) bowl, create a double boiler and place over saucepan filled with 2 inches of water. Over medium heat bring water to a simmer. Combine lemon juice, eggs, and sugar and continually whisk ingredients until mixture is registers 180 F and has become very thick, about 10-12 minutes. Take mixture off stove and let cool for a couple minutes. Cut butter into 1″ pieces, then using an immersion blender slowly add butter to incorporate. Add one piece at a time until it is fully incorporated.

—-

Thanks for sharing, Sara! Will took care of the rest of the cake with amazing speed. The highest of compliments.

Check out Sara’s blog and website.

photos by Kate Miss, shot on an Ikon Ikoflex with Fujichrome Velvia 100

20 Responses to “A Visit From Sara of Matchbox Kitchen”

1. Francine Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 9:20 am

That cake is beautiful!

And I am also always willing to take one for the team and tackle baked goods that my friends make. The world needs more devoted friends like us.

2. Erin Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 9:31 am

Yum!! That cake sounds delicious, Sara makes the most dreamy looking sweets.

3. Erica Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 9:37 am

Oooh, what a gorgeous cake! Lemon cream sounds soo delicious. I’ve been using a lot of lemon curd, but I can’t wait to try the texture of cream. Thanks to Sara for sharing! I love her sweater, too (Or Jessica’s?).

If I am not mistaken, you found a place that develops Velvia without cross-processing? It’s so beautiful!

Kate Reply:

It’s Sara’s sweater made by Hetterson! They are such beautiful sweaters. And yes, tracked down someone to develop the Velvia but it was $25 a roll!! Yikes! I have two boxes full I got with a vintage camera I bought though so I guess I’ll use it for special occasions or when I’m ballin’ :)

Erica Reply:

Ballin’ indeed! ;)

4. indreams Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 9:43 am

yumm. it is so dangerous reading your blog sometimes! so many delicious recipes, haha. :)

5. Jo Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 9:46 am

Woah. I’m not sure it’s cool to describe a cake as tidy, but this cake is, well, tidy. It’s actually perfect looking. It’s also encouraged me to befriend a local baker. Cake Mondays sound gooood.

6. Jennifer Young Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 11:49 am

Dang. So amazing, that girl. Wishing I lived in LA right about now!!!

7. Mallory Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I dream of hiring Sara to make me a different baked good each day. It would be HEAVEN. You should get her s’more making kit (delicious, obviously).

8. Kate {Something Fabulous} Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Yum, that cake looks absolutely delicious! Love these photos.

9. Michelle Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Yup I can imagine it is a hard life being friends with an amazing baker.

10. Anne Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 5:56 pm

How nice to have a friend bring you cake when you’re working! I love the last two photos. Those tones are so warm and soft!
    Yikes $25 to process a roll of film! Maybe you should track down photo students who need to bring film to process for class.

11. Sara/Matchbox Kitchen Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I’ve said this many times already, but I seriously can’t get over how beautiful these photos are! Thank you for letting me push the cake on you. Glad it went to a good home!

12. A Little Celebration Cake - Matchbox Kitchen Says:

May 4th, 2012 at 6:01 am

[...] I will tell you that one of my cakes was photographed by Kate Miss of For Me, For You and is on her very blog right now. And I will share with you this sweet post that Chelsea wrote about my s’mores [...]

13. ND Says:

May 4th, 2012 at 6:26 am

Beautiful! I love the slow reveal!

14. Trude Says:

May 4th, 2012 at 4:19 pm

OMG the lemon just sells it for me. Gorgeous!!

15. Keiko / Small Adventure Says:

May 4th, 2012 at 10:55 pm

What a great collaboration of food photography! So beautifully done, guys.

16. Sara Says:

May 5th, 2012 at 4:36 am

That cake is beautiful! So simple. I am glad to be living home this summer because I know my dad will eat all the treats I bake!

17. antonella Says:

June 8th, 2012 at 4:00 am

I wish I had friends like that! And I love that Sara is using the word *simple* to describe this cake!

18. A Little Celebration Cake Says: