Braids Success

October 26th, 2012

The braid fundraiser was such a smashing success. It was crazy busy, people never stopped trickling in, and we were overwhelmed by the kindess, support, and hot babes that came in to get DID UP. Laure and I agreed that we had a braid hangover on Sunday, it was such mania (the good kind).

Shout outs:

• Whitney for letting us take over (literally) her lovely store.
  • The Hedgehog for the delicious rum chai and coffee.
  • Katie Wilson for donating her time and talent to be our second braider, taking almost all of the walk-ins! We only just recently met Katie (at the Got A Girl Crush party, Lisa and I approached her as she was wearing an amazing braid!) and were blown away by her kindness for helping with this for nothing in return besides a thank you and a margarita. Girl is good people and a trust-worthy braider. She has a rad stationery line you should check out.
  • Laure for taking all of these amazing photos and cornering ladies after they got braided for pictures. And for helping with organizing and keeping Ali and I sane in our moments of panic and doubt. She’s amazing like that.
  • All the wonderful people who came in, dudes included, to support Ali. Sometimes I forget that the kindness of others can blow you away. That goes for those of you who donated online as well.
  • And I guess I should maybe give a shout out/hat tip to Ali for braiding like 100 million braids, working her butt off making beautiful things all day? Yeah, for sure.
  • Special hug for Joanna for posting about the braid bar and sending SO many ladies Ali’s way! Queen of the internet, that girl.

If you missed out on Saturday, you’re in luck, as Ali takes house calls now.

Team braidz!

Photos by Laure Joliet

13 Responses to “Braids Success”

1. kate o. Says:

October 26th, 2012 at 9:33 am

Oh man, this warms my heart and brings tears to my eyes. I grew up in a small town in the midwest and fundraisers like this (okay, maybe not quite like this…usually the American Legion and fried chicken were involved) took place regularly to help folks out with medical bills. I don’t care what they say – people are SO good.

Well done team Brislin!

2. Angela Says:

October 26th, 2012 at 10:05 am

So awesome! Looks like a huge success! Those braids are BEAUTIFUL! :)

3. Liz Says:

October 26th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

So beautiful! Wish I could have had my hair braided, but I am a bay area girl. I did donate though, thanks for making your readers aware of this opportunity to support her. Glad her health is better!

4. Aron Says:

October 26th, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Wow! It’s like a tea party but with braids and flowers! So lovely

5. Sarah Croft Says:

October 26th, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Wow, this looks like a whole lotta rad goin’ on! I’m bummed that 1. I’m way up north in Vancouver CANADA and 2. I completely lack hairs to play with at all. I think all these seriously AMAZIN’ braids have resolved me to remedy that though. Wish I could have come and checked you ladies out! :)

6. rhiannon Says:

October 26th, 2012 at 9:26 pm

This post brought a tear to my eye and made me resolved to grow my hair out. Those crown braids have me green with envy!

7. indreams Says:

October 26th, 2012 at 9:44 pm

that looks like it was not only so much fun, but so, SO successful! high five ladies! (although i’m still jealous of those gals close enough to go…and with hair long enough to braid, haha.) :D

8. Akiko Says:

October 29th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Omg.. so lovely! I wish I could do it by myself.. well I’ll try! Thanks for sharing this :) Love your blog always.. xo akiko
    Style Imported

9. Meaghan Says:

October 29th, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Looks amazing! Bravo to all the pretty ladies for all the support and their amazing hair!

10. Bill Steinman Says:

November 1st, 2012 at 7:05 am

And, you had a fun time doing good works! Love ya

11. Bri Says:

November 1st, 2012 at 2:20 pm

My sister and I had such a great night getting our hair done in amazing braids for an awesome cause and meeting you lovely ladies! Thanks again :)

12. Ladybug4Sunflower Says:

November 3rd, 2012 at 5:14 am

You got to love braids <3

13. TheoWalcot Says:

November 26th, 2012 at 2:01 am

Thanks for share. Good luck for you