Pretty cake, pretty ladies

I’m past the point in my blogging where I apologize for a lack of blog posts, but I would like to forewarn you that I have the craziest of crazy dayz ahead of me before I head to Feliz next week, so this might be it for a bit. A thoughtful thank you is coming soon for the magic that went down on Saturday, but I’m waiting for photos of SO MANY BRAIDS before that can happen. So. A few weeks ago Sara of Matchbox Kitchen made a bangin’ cake (is that an appropriate descriptor for a cake?) and many of my lady friends and I happily obliged to come to Laura‘s house and take care of that bad boy and take some photos. I mean, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do for friends. It was also right before Laure‘s birthday (and everyone’s birthday ever? Libras unite!) so we celebrated with calories. Goal to take more photos of people: sort of happening.

Because I know you will want to know what is the DEAL with this bangin’ cake (going with it), I asked Sara to share:

It was a simple chocolate cake (use your favorite recipe, such as this one from Martha Stewart) and vanilla swiss meringue buttercream (here’s a great tutorial by sweetapolita). For the topping I did a version of the momofuku milk crumbs.

Between each layer of cake I put a bit of buttercream and then spread a heaping of crumbs. For the swirled colored frosting I used some extra powdered freeze dried raspberries from the crumbs and mixed it in with the buttercream.

Photos by Kate Miss, taken with Canon A-1 with Kodak Portra 400 film

Comments

1. ali says

YUM! Hey, this is kinda random but since you posted cake I thought wedding! Can you suggest any good sites for wedding dresses? Man, it’s such a schlep trying to find something unique, simple and not mass produced. Thanks Kate!

• Ali says

Thanks for replying :) I agree, I do not want a typical wedding dress since we’re having it in the backyard i grew up in. Can you suggest some local designers or sites that you would recommend to start my search?

Kate, these photos are wonderful !
    It’s like it’s still summer on your side of the world… (even if it’s been suspiciously warm in Paris these past two days, Fall is well settled in) and this series is warming just to look at.
    Beautiful cake and beautiful light, love those.

That’s a gorgeous cake and the way you composed that first shot makes it look even more appealing.
    The tones in your photos just make me swoon.

That cake is to die for! Your lady love really warms my heart- you are all so supportive of one another. Best of luck before Feliz… how did I not know about that? sounds amazing.

5. Nicole says

Does the lady in the black shirt with the fish have a blog/twitter, etc? I have been looking forever for a good example of short ombre hair like she has,(my hair is the same length)and I was wondering she she had any side views of her color/hair? Thanks!