Kim + Nelson: A Wedding in the Redwoods

In September, we drove up the 1 to Felton (just outside of Santa Cruz) to shoot a beautiful wedding in a redwood “cathedral”. It was a big, cozy wedding that mixed a few Vietnamese and Jewish traditions and had every beautiful detail you could think of. The most unique thing about this shoot was that they requested I shoot the entire wedding on film. I couldn’t do it 100% because of me being the only shooter, but I came damn close, using five different cameras. I worked my 645 so hard it broke in the last hour! My favorite detail was that the bride, Kim, skipped a traditional white dress for a grey floral number, but it didn’t feel that untraditional. The light through the trees was magical (albiet a bit hard to shoot the ceremony in!) and at night, the market lights made everything glow so beautifully. It was the first wedding I’ve shot that the couple didn’t want many photos of them, they just wanted to spend as much time as possible with their guests and have me capture everyone having a lovely, fun time. And that they did.

Thank you to Prestigious Planning for being so awesome to work with. Weddings with planners, so I don’t have to bug the bride all night, are the best.

Photos by Kate Miss, taken with a mixture of digital, Mamiya 645, Canon A-1, and Ikon Ikoflex  - with Kodak Portra 160 and 400 film.

Comments

1. Jenny says

OMG I absolutely adore that dress, any chance I can get the details? where its from? In addition what a breathtaking affair!

These are breathtaking, Kate! You sure you don’t want to shoot weddings like, forever and ever?

Even those little reflective lights in the second to last image (a phenomenon that drives me bonkers in my own work) looks serendipitous and magical, like a little constellation overlayed on the photo itself.

Gah. So beautiful!

3. Jessica C. says

Thanks for these. I had a really crummy day and looking at your photos of this wedding made me feel a little better.

Oh, my. You completely captured the beauty of that place. My husband and I met in Felton teaching outdoor science and the redwoods were our classroom. We’re going back next week. We can’t wait!

What beautiful photos, amazing job Kate! I really admire the choice of the bride and groom to make photographing their guests a big priority. What fun! I don’t think I’m going to wear a white dress, either. I am looking for a grey one, and the bride’s dress is the best!

6. Emma says

What a beautiful wedding! Did the bride ever get back to you about where her dress was from? The invitations are so gorgeous too!

I wish I’d had time to explore Santa Cruz, but it seemed really beautiful from what I saw. I’d love to be that close to those trees. Sigh.

That means so much coming from you, Kim! I think I may lose my mind shooting more than a few weddings a year. I have neither the patience or endurance, ha!

Hah! I hear ya. I max out at 10 a year — not exactly full time by most standards, either. I don’t know how people do 20, 30, 40(!!!) a year?! I would lose my marbles.

In any case, I hope you continue to shoot the occasional wedding. Your interpretation of the day is such a joy and inspiration to look through and your clients are always so sweet and adorable!

Trackbacks