Beauty Products: Update #3

January 24th, 2013

A recent discussion on twitter about moisturizer lead to the request that I update my beauty product guide (previous posts part 1 & 2), which I am happy to oblige because I suck at knowing what to blog about lately and can talk about beauty products all day long. Things that have happened since the last time we talkeds: 1. I lost my Clarisonic. It was tragic and I have NO idea how it happened, but it did. However, this new face wash I bought is so magical that I haven’t needed it. 2. Sephora stopped making that awesome cheek stain I wrote about in the last post. Since then I’ve just been using my magic marker lip stains that I’ve decided look terrible on me as cheek stain, which works ok. 3. Every day I still use M.A.C Select Moisturecover and Blot Powder, and Clinique Airbrush Concealer.

New things, pictured:

1. Ole Henriksen Truth Revealed Super CremeAfrican Red Tea Foaming Cleanser, and Invigorating Night Gel. MAGICAL TIMES! I was looking for a new face wash as my face decided to start rejecting my Boscia stuff, and I decided to get a kit from Ole Henriksen since it was so highly recommended on Sephora. The only thing I hated in the kit was the eye cream, which left my eyes sticky, but everything else was lovely. These are just the three things that I love the most and ended up buying full size in. It ain’t cheap, no, but the bottles are huge! They work amazing and smell delicious like citrus and the face wash really smells like red tea. Despite being called super creme, the moisturizer is wonderful on my oily skin. The night gel is the best overnight product I’ve ever used.

2. My new favorite weapon for random break outs is Fresh Umbrian Clay Treatment Bar. I bought it to use as a cleanser, and that was a disaster as it was way too drying. But I dab a little on blemishes and leave it on for at least an hour, if not overnight, and it instantly shrinks. Where was this when I was in high school? It’s expensive, but will seriously last you a life time. I’ve barely used a 1/4 of it and I’ve had it for months! I admit it’s awkward to store – I keep it in a plastic bag as it get crumbly.

3. For Christmas, my besty Andrea got me the BEST gift, a collection of some of her favorite makeup products. Genius, and I loved every single one of them. First up, Buxom Lash Mascara. The thing I love best about it is the synthetic brush, which I find works amazing with mascara at getting an even coat on your lashes. It doesn’t end up under your eyes – downside to that is that you have to use eye makeup remover to get it off at night.

4. She also gave me a MAC Paint Pot in Rubenesque, which is really universally flattering shimmery gold that adds just a little bit of fun to you eyes. I don’t normally like creme eyeshadow, but us usual, MAC gets it right.

5. What makes the above mentioned eyeshadow even better is the best eyeshadow base ever by NARS. Not only will eyeshadow cease to crease on your lid, but it makes colors pop and stand out more since they have a matte base. Great for those of us with oily eyelids. I’d file this under “nice to have” however, since it’s a little splurgey and I only wear eyeshadow for long periods of time once in a while. I’m definitely re-stocking up before my wedding.
6. I’ve found some fun new shades of lipstick. MAC Lipstick in Plumful and So Chaud and NARS Funny Face. Plumful (another Andrea gift!) is a really good basic color for those of you who are not daring enough for bold colors, or you need to take it up a notch but be professional. So Chaud is an orangey-red color I saw on Cup of Jo ages ago and saved up my glass containers to trade in for recently (oy that takes forever, but so awesome!). Funny Face is a really classic fuscia, a color I would have gagged at years ago but find really fun these days. It is a little bit opal when it dries, but my friend Ali assured me it looks awesome and I think the pink is a nice change from my usual red. I forgot to mention this in my last beauty post, but NARS Heat Wave is also the very best. Very similar to So Chaud, but not matte. And as always, lipliner: a bright lipstick’s very best friend in accuracy.
7. Speaking of my mom, she gave me some e.l.f. Studio Brushes in my stocking for Christmas and even though they are so cheap, they are amazing! $3 and they feel very similar to the Sephora brand brushes.
8. My nose is so flaky and painful during the winter thanks to the dry weather here and my allergies, and everything I’ve tried makes me break out or doesn’t do a thing. I recently discovered, out of desperation, that Burt’s Bees Hand Salve works wonders for this problem. It doesn’t just treat my flaky skin, but since I use it every night, it stopped coming back. Funny enough I don’t like it as a hand salve as it doesn’t do anything for my dry hands (don’t get me started!).
Ok guys, here’s what I’m in the market for: blush! I prefer liquid stain, but I’m open to other things since that obviously hasn’t been working for me lately. Hand cream. Eyeliner – I’m feeling disappointed in my usual Sephora pencil lately.
Update: all of your recommendations are so amazing, I added them to a Svpply collection here if you want to see them all together. Please comment with things outside of my blush/eyeliner/hand cream request as well and I’ll add ‘em!

55 Responses to “Beauty Products: Update #3”

1. Amy Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 9:29 am

I cannot agree more about that Ole Hendricksen Truth Revealed cream. BEST EVER. I can’t wait to try some of these lip colors, too. I love reading about other people’s beauty product preferences :)

2. Katie Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 9:53 am

Best hand cream for me lately is MALIN + GOETZ MALIN + GOETZ

And my bff just gave me this Tarte stain for my birthday and so far so good!

And now I want to go try that Ole Henriksen!

3. Alex Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 10:19 am

definitely going to check out some of these! thanks for sharing! I love using Benetint, have you tried it? And for eyeliner I just switched from a pencil to the Bobbi Brown Gel eyeliner and it’s a game-changer! highly recommend it – and I just use a Sephora brand angled eyeliner brush with it

Kate Reply:

I”ve never used anything Bobbi Brown before and I need to try! I used to use Benetint but it’s so effing expensive! But I did like it, so maybe next paycheck…

4. Theodora Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 10:28 am

Alima Pure is the best! They’re based in Portland and do mineral make-up. I use their whole range which has worked wonders on my skin. Anyway, I like their blush, it looks good and doesn’t make me break out – all I want from blush, basically.

Ashely Reply:

I use their products, too! So happy with everything I’ve used.

5. ElisabethSpace Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 10:30 am

LOVE Buxom Lash mascara. It’s so hard to find a good mascara that doesn’t smudge much throughout the day that goes on smoothly with little to no clumps. Even though you said you need an eye makeup remover to take it off, I find that my Philosophy Purity cleanser does the job. Maybe the fact that I’m washing it off the next morning in the shower makes it easier to remove..? (I’m bad – I rarely wash my face before bed.)
    I also loved the Ole H. Invigorating Night Gel. I tried a sample of it and wish I could justify the expense of it.

Kate Reply:

I’ve never had any luck with any Philosophy products except for this oil absorber they stopped making *fist shake*. I would wake up with the worst break outs if I didn’t want all my makeup off at night! Even if I’m falling down drunk (ha) I wash my face.

6. martha Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 10:33 am

I never thought to use the BB Hand Salve on my face. Smart. Have you tried Weleda Skin Food for your hands? It soaks in nicely without feeling greasy. I also sometimes use it as an overnight moisturizer. In moments of dry and crackly desperation I have used Aquaphor on my hands but it is pretty greasy.

7. Shayna Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 10:41 am

My favorite cheek stain is Vincent Longo. I have two that I switch between because I can’t decide which I like more: My Sunshine and Angel’s Kiss.

I think I bought them at Sephora originally but apparently they’re not sold there anymore.

Not cheap but I’ve had them for 5+ years (oops…maybe not so hygenic?) and I use it every single day. Even when I’m camping.

8. The Belvedere-Alyssa Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 10:48 am

The burts bees almond milk hand creame really works for hands- a little greesy but great before you jump into bed. Any thing Bare Minerals is my jam- the blushes come in great colors and you can make them as pigmented or as soft as you’d like. Hope that helps, liked viewing what you use!

9. alyson Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 10:53 am

hand salve is magic I tell ya!! I use it on my dry, cracking, bleeding knuckles and it’s great. although I hear you – it doesn’t stick around for long and I find myself obsessively reapplying.

blush. I’ve been using the blush from Alima Pure from PDX and love it. the matte colors are fantastic and even the lightest shades are brilliant.

10. Meg Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 11:30 am

I love the Tarte cheek stain in Flush. It’s not the most kind to my wallet but it lasts forever and makes me look like I was just necking on a mountaintop. In the best way.

How do you think your cleanser would behave with dry skin? I’m looking for a new one…

Kate Reply:

You had me at “necking on a mountaintop”.

I feel like the cleanser is so gentle that it would be good for dry skin. You can buy the travel size on OH’s website and try, it’s only like $9. My face doesn’t feel super tight after using it like some, I don’t even use a nighttime moisturizer anymore.

11. Kelli Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 11:35 am

I was disappointed in the BB hand salve as it doesn’t do anything for my dry hands, either. Soap & Glory’s Hand Food is my favorite hand moisturizer of all time. Not the prettiest packaging, but pretty affordable, comes in a travel size, and moisturizes so well without without any greasiness. I love it.

For blushes- Nars makes beautiful blushes. I love Douceur and Sin.

Kelli Reply:

ooh I just remembered! If you’re looking for a liquid blush- Daniel Sandler Watercolour Fluid is supposed to be great.

12. Nicole @ Treasure Tromp Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 11:47 am

gosh I love Ole Henriksen! I’ll have to try out these products

13. Aurora Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I cannot live without Mountain Ocean’s Skin Trip moisturizer for hands and body and everything. It smells like coconut in a totally uncloying way, it’s super rich but it soaks in right away, and it’s like $10 for a bottle at the health food store. I even pat a layer of it on my lips and let it soak in for 15 minutes when they’re falling off my face dry and it fixes everything and it’s all natural hippy stuff so I don’t have to feel weird about it.

14. Anna Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Love this post. I could talk about beauty products all day long too!

After using a Bobbi Brown powder blush for an embarrassing number of years, I recently started using a Laura Mercier cream blush (in Blaze) which came highly recommended. I love the colour – it gives you a flushed, bright glow – and it has good staying power. Re eyeliner, have you tried Bourjois? It’s cheap as chips and available from Asos. I have the Effet Smokey Eye Pencil and it’s really nice (not just for smokey eyes). I love eyeliner and have so many – Clinique and Laura Mercier both make lovely ones too.

15. Paula Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I love Tarte’s Cheek Stain. I’m a pale beige skin tone and use the True Love color, which looks really nice and natural on the skin though it looks super intensely bright in the tube thing it comes in. It’s expensive to buy at the outset (though if you sign up for Tarte’s emails, they occasionally give discount codes) but I’ve had mine for over 2 years now and it is nowhere near finished (and I wear it every day without fail).

16. Sarah Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 1:54 pm

i’m a huge fan of Tarte mineral blush in Amused. I have oily skin and creme blushes just seem to settle into my pores and don’t work well. Very happy with this color (it’s universal) and it lasts forever.

Funny thing about Boscia- my skin did the same thing.

Also, I love Burt’s Bees Ultimate Care Hand Cream.

Kate Reply:

So many people recommending Tarte, I need to try it! And I have issues with creme blushes too, so that sounds great.

17. Rebecca Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 2:02 pm

As hand creams go, I’ve been using the same for years and it’s the best I’ve ever had :
    Neutrogena (yep, a classic), the CONCENTRATED version. It’s a little sticky for 5 seconds after you apply it, and then sooo smooth !

18. Rebecca Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Also just thought of Pich-Your-Cheeks for a blush :)

19. eliza Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 3:35 pm

my hands get so so so so dry in the winter. it’s ridiculous. other than medicated stuff (which i really try to use minimally), the only thing that really works for me is neutrogena norwegian formula hand cream. annnnd…. a & d ointment. but that stuff smells. i happen to like the smell, as it smells like healing to me, but i can see not everyone feeling that way…

thanks for the round up! i’m tempted to go out and buy some of the lipsticks, as i’ve been LOVING bold lips, but i’ve bought maybe four over the last couple of months? i should maybe wait to run out on something first.

20. Lexie Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I loooove Benefit’s coralista blush. It is such a nice pink and it lasts a good while!

21. ashley english Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

i second the recommendation for weleda skin food for hands. i developed post-pregnancy eczema on my hands (who knew?) two years ago, and it was amazing in its ability to heal. i’d also suggest los poblanos lavender salve: http://www.cisthene.com/products/apothecary/hands/LOSP001.html. i traded my girl jen a bottle of my homemade irish cream for a container of it about a month ago and have been addicted ever since. i put it on my hands every night just before turing in and i’ve yet to have any cracking this year, and this is coming from someone living in a house in the frosty n.c. mountains that is solely headed by a wood stove.

Kate Reply:

yum, I want to smell the lavender salve!

22. Kate Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Hey kate, what would you request for shampoo and conditioner? Drugstore or high end. Any suggestions?

Kate Reply:

I am not a good person to ask about that, I buy something different and super cheap every time! I have ridiculously oily hair, so just whatever is geared towards that. I’m lucky that besides oiliness that I have to keep in check, I don’t have a lot of hair issues.

23. Marie Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 6:15 pm

The Burt’s Bees never worked for my hands either and I’ve tried a few of the other creams people have mentioned here, but my new favorite is Trader Joe’s coconut body cream. It’s cheap, smells awesome, and doesn’t leave my hands greasy. I use it a couple times a day and I feel like it actually heals the dry skin instead of just temporarily relieving it like others I’ve tried.

24. rhiannon Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

i swear by urban decay’s glide on eye pencil. i regularly use the black color called “zero” for everyday. the cheaper version, which is still great but doesn’t last *as* long is covergirl’s liquiline blast. i picked it up on a whim in a funky plum color and have been really impressed with the results. also in the cheap realm of things, covergirl’s clump buster mascara is pretty amazing. better than my dior mascara!

25. Lindsey Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Clinique gel eyeliner, it comes in three shades, and I love it. I was never a huge eyeliner person until I gave it a try, it’s the perfect balance between liquid and pencil. Also, Nars has great blushes, but basically everything they do is great. I have the orgasm in stick form and I think I’ve had it for a year and only 1/3 of it is used (and I use it everyday). Good luck, definitely let us know what you try and like. I always wish I had the money to try it all, so I devour makeup reviews.

26. Twyla Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 8:23 pm

It’s cheap and not fancy – but I love St. Ives hand lotion. You can buy it at the drugstore, but its really rich and creamy but won’t leave your hands greasy. I have really similar skin to you (oily, some breakouts, dry patches in winter) and have the best success with Paula’s Choice. She’s the BOMB. If you haven’t heard of her, she reviews ALL makeup and skincare brands and used her research to make her own skincare line. Seriously – it’s the best. Try the 10% AHA weeky resurfacing treatment and listen to people ooh & ahh over your glowing skin…
    xo
    Twyla

Ashely Reply:

LOVE PAULA! I follow her site religiously. I also use St. Ives thanks to her recommendation :)

27. Gemma Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 2:03 am

I definitely need to try that mascara, I always end up with mine in flakes under my eyes. I swear by Liz Earle for skincare, I’m not sure if you can get it there but it’s great and smells beautiful. Apart from that I’ve been using Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser for years and then wear Nars The Multiple in Orgasm and MAC lipstick – either Lady Bug or Lustering (and quite often the pink as a layer on top of the red) but I want to try some more orangey or coral lipsticks this summer…

28. rox Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 10:02 am

bah! I need to get myself a paint pot. I feel left out, and it seems like such a practical product (I use a powdery version of it right now from MAC and love it – but am totes ready to mix it up). I’m also stoked you posted about that salve, because my fiance actually needs a hand salve! I had gotten him a badger something or other kind…but it’s only been so so. might need to try out this burt bees version.

29. Jen Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Eucerin in the pot is the best hand cream ever. I think it helps keep my excema under control. I bought a mini altoids tin and removed the mints and added the cream for an on the go hand saver. Bonus, people think you make your own lotion!

30. Donna Says:

January 26th, 2013 at 6:19 am

The urban decay eye pencils are the best! Try one with sparkle to brighten your eyes. I wear them for every day looks because they are so subtle.

31. Samantha Says:

January 27th, 2013 at 12:27 am

Tarte blushes all the way

32. PolkaDot Lighthouse Says:

January 28th, 2013 at 5:49 am

For blush, I like mixing Benefit’s Benetint and High Beam but Clinique’s powder blushes are also nice. As for hand cream L’Occitane (not sure if you have it in America?) does a really good shea butter one. That one and Neutrogena’s concentrated one are my favourites :)

33. Jo Says:

January 28th, 2013 at 9:37 am

Oh my god I LOVE this. ha! In terms of blush I actually couldn’t live without Nars ‘orgasm’. Ok, I could live, but I’d be reeeaaallly pale. It just gives a great natural flush. For eyeliner I use a liquid one from Rimmel (http://uk.rimmellondon.com/products/eyes/exaggerate-liquid-eye-liner) when I want a precise, neat look (and it works just as well as any of the expensive ones out there, I’ve tried ‘em all). And for when I want something a bit more smudgy and smokey, I use Benefit Bad Gal eyeliner – I use an old one I have which is a chunky really soft pencil but I have a feeling they maybe don’t do it any more, but they do this one now which might be the same: http://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/product/view/badgal-liner-waterproof-eyeliner
    Despite the cringey name, it’s really good!
    Something else I totally couldn’t live without is Dr Hauschka cleansers – they cleared up my skin within two weeks from breakout chaos to clear and soft. No word of a lie, it is genius! Sorry for the long comment. Hope it helps!

34. Rachel Says:

January 28th, 2013 at 2:55 pm

This is a great post. I LOVE Ole’s stuff – but I’m a huge fan of the walnut scrub. It’s an intense exfoliator that leaves your skin glowing and clear. So amazing. I’m also into Nars’ blush in “Orgasm” (like everyone else) and the gel eyeliner by Bobbi Brown was a game changer for me. I bought the special brush that goes with it and my eyes have never looked better!

35. Rachel Says:

January 28th, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Handcream = l’occitane. Expensive but really really good. The lavender scent is my jam.

36. Hai Yen Says:

January 28th, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Some Target goodies: Sonia Kashuk Super Sheer Liquid Tint is a nice liquid blush. It’s a bit creamy, so it’s not as watery as Benetint is. I use Peony which appears as a natural rose on the cheeks although it’s scarily bright in the bottle. Also, if you’re looking for a good creamy eyeliner, try Neutrogena Nourishing Eye Liner. It comes as a pen and the consistency is between that of a gel and a pencil. All the colors have a soft shimmer to them that subtly brightens the eyes.

37. courtney Says:

January 29th, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Tarte cheek stain is the best! I have oily skin and I feel like it doesn’t slide off by the end of the day like a powder does. It’s a bit pricey, but I’m super cheap and it’s actually the only higher end make up that I buy (everything else is from the drugstore) it’s that good.

38. ali Says:

January 30th, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Kate! Please blog about how your wedding plans are coming along. I need some inspiration…!

Kate Reply:

haha! I’m not really planning on it as it is not an enjoyable experience for me (which I’ve learned was the same for other ladies, which makes me feel not as bad) and we don’t have many plans yet! I may blog some thoughts in the future, but I don’t have any plans to share specifics as that’s not my jam on this blog.

39. Sarah Says:

February 1st, 2013 at 11:48 am

I agree with some of the above posters! Urban Decay eyeliner pencils are awesome, as are their Naked eyeshadow palettes! I find even without an eyeshadow base they last all day. That said, when I got married I went all Mac and am now addicted to some of their products, especially the pro longwear lip colour in “unchanging” (http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/shaded/168/808/Products/Lips/Lipstick/Pro-Longwear-Lipcolour/index.tmpl) and their blot powder for everyday matte skin! Thanks for the fun post!

40. Ann Says:

February 3rd, 2013 at 1:41 pm

That Buxom mascara is great. I got a free sample and I love it. The brush is fab!

41. katie henry Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

i am not a huge makeup person, but a pal turned me in to lorac front of the line PRO eyeliner (http://www.sephora.com/front-of-the-line-pro-P241307?skuId=1179027) recently, and it is SO GOOD. it’s the perfect mix of liquid + pencil (goes on like a liquid, but with a much more matte finish, like that of a pencil), and the brush it PERFECT. certainly not cheap, but totally worth it, i promise!

42. Kala Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 6:35 pm

For hand cream, I’m a little obsessed with the Satin Hands Set from Mary Kay (http://bit.ly/VFQbbw). I like the fragrance-free, but it also comes in a peach scent. It’s great for intense moisturizing and exfoliating. I can get you a sample if you don’t know anyone who sells MK!

Also, I mixed a batch of THE chocolate chip cookies on Saturday and am really excited to bake them tonight. Love it.

Sarah Croft Reply:

I second both of these things, I love the Mary Kay system for hands and the Timewise cleanser system. I got them for my wedding and they did wonders. (Kate, you’d probably go for the combination-oily set like me, I have the normal-dry skin stuff currently and it just isn’t cutting it. Mad break-outs with-outs.)

And the cookies! Honestly best cookies ever. Literally throwing away my others. I make cookies for my husband, and for eating the cookie dough. I’m defensive over these things!! SO buttery!

43. Ashely Says:

February 26th, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I just bought the Umbria bar. How exactly do you apply it? My chin needs major love.

Kate Reply:

Just get a part of it wet and then rub it until it creates a paste you can wipe off onto your skin, or rub it directly onto your face. It may start to crumble a little after a few uses, which makes storing it awkward (I put mine in a ziploc), but makes for much easier use as you can grab a little chunk and turn it into paste. That sounds so annoying but it’s worth it to me!