Lady Portraits

February 22nd, 2013

My goal made ages ago of taking more portraits is slow going. In a serious photo rut lately, I’m actively pushing myself out of my comfort zone to talk my friends into letting me take their photo in a more formal way. I’m even thinking of branching out into strangers. I really enjoy portraits, I find them so fascinating to shoot, and the funny thing about photographing women is their commentary about how they view themselves. I’ve discovered that a lot of us ladies have hang ups about certain features that seem to all stem from something our mothers told us at one point. Our moms had to stare at us so often and many of them took endless photos of us, so I suppose they became familiar with our flaws and strengths. And for the most part the comments were meant to be helpful, but we can’t escape that voice in our heads! Anyway, I always have a good laugh at the comments like, “I need to be photographed slightly from the side because of my linebacker shoulders” or, “I have a fat nose so don’t let me look down too much.”

Kicking this all off, last week some ladies came over so we could help each other take new head shots so we could be more professional bizness ladies. Katie, Erin, and Laura, thanks for letting me take your photo, and thank you Laura for manning the camera for my photos. My only regret is not taking more film photos because my Mamiya is a dream for portraits.

These are a mix of film and digital photos. If you’re interested in hiring me to take your portrait, get in touch! katemiss at gmail.com. PS. The necklaces are all mine, one is a SPOILER ALERT from the new collection.

13 Responses to “Lady Portraits”

1. vv Says:

February 22nd, 2013 at 10:40 am

i love these, kate. such a thoughtful & dreamy quality about them!

keeping you in mind :)

2. indreams Says:

February 22nd, 2013 at 11:20 am

omg, that shot of you with wendy is priceless! (i know she’s a bit of a bitch, but what a looker…for a cat, that is.) ;)

i love love LOVE the colour in these shots…really soft + flattering. if i lived anywhere close to the west coast, i’d hit you up for a portrait!

3. Jo Says:

February 22nd, 2013 at 2:30 pm

You’re so talented! These shots are awesome. Loving the new necklace too. Such a great shape.

4. Kera Says:

February 22nd, 2013 at 9:44 pm

lovely lovely images.

5. SC Says:

February 23rd, 2013 at 7:47 am

Great portrait series in the NYT magazine this week:

Always good to see Wendy!

6. Clarissa Says:

February 25th, 2013 at 12:08 am

Hi Kate, these are great photos! May I ask if you know where I can find the earrings on the girl in the first photo?

7. Rebecca Says:

February 25th, 2013 at 11:09 am

Kate, these look wonderful!
    I’ve been meaning to shoot real portraits for years as well, because I keep capturing moments with noone looking at the lense (which I love, but a real look at the camera is beautiful)…
    Maybe 2013 is the year…
    Loving that shot of you and Wendy.

8. Laura Says:

February 25th, 2013 at 11:15 am

These are so beautiful. I love how each portrait has so much personality. I feel like just by looking at the pictures I get so much insite into the beautiful women that the portraits are of. Wonderful work!

9. Sunshine+Design Says:

February 25th, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I love the different shades of lipstick. Beautiful series!

10. Ann Says:

February 26th, 2013 at 8:28 am

One of my brothers is a journalist & photographer. Before he had had his photos published, he was advised that amateurs stick to landscapes & that portraiture was a different world, completely. So your instincts seem on!
    Unrelated: I’ve read your blog for yonks. If you’ve not already, you may love the music of Laura Mvula, she’s awesome

11. eliza Says:

February 26th, 2013 at 10:11 am

these are really really fabulous.

12. katie / odd daughter Says:

February 27th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

these photos are FAB. the first one is particularly striking, but they’re all so lovely! A good portrait is worth so much. I’ve had more than my fair share of awkward “photo shoots” (aka- trying to get a family member to take a decent photo of me). ha! ;)

13. alyson Says:

March 13th, 2013 at 9:12 am

wish I could have you take my photo!! I’m in desperate need of some head shots and these are beautiful!