Descanso Gardens

March 21st, 2013

On Sunday we went to Descanso Gardens after Jessica reminded me of its existence, and it was the best $8 spent in a while. It’s smaller and less structured than The Huntington, and you can go on little trail hikes that make you forget where you are for a moment – probably why I didn’t take many photos as I was relaxing. Also, there are more camellias than you can shake a stick at, so, win. Afterwards we drove to Pasadena and ate hot dogs at The Slaw Dogs and engaged in our usual “what if we moved over here?” talk we have 8.5 million times a month when we visit somewhere that is not where we live because that is our favorite pastime. Thumbs up, Sunday.

ps. thanks for all the love this week for the new jewelry. My kiln and I are going to be bffs for the next week.

11 Responses to “Descanso Gardens”

1. Francine Says:

March 21st, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Great photos, but the red pants make this post.

2. Sarah Says:

March 21st, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Great photos, Kate. I am a landscape architect and I love it when you visit the great gardens and landscapes in your part of the world. And, oh, the plants you can grow in your zone!!! Thanks for sharing.

3. Kristina Says:

March 21st, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Lovely pictures! I see spring has come to California already!

4. K Says:

March 21st, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Isn’t Descanso magical? I went recently on a drizzly Sunday morning and spent hours wandering through the black-trunked oaks.

5. Rachel Says:

March 21st, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Next time you’re in Pasadena, go to Dog Haus :)

6. Oleah Says:

March 21st, 2013 at 10:30 pm

lovely pictures. i’m actually heading there this weekend. the camellias look so pretty. i hope there’s a lot of flowers in bloom right now.

xoxo, Oleah
    xthesimplethingsx.blogspot.com

7. kelly Says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 9:32 am

hahah, i love that you were in la canada but went to pasadena for food. i love living up here but we have the worst retail & food. that’s my #1 regret about moving up here. but the trees make up for it. the camellias at descanso are crazy! the way they pile up on the ground so it’s soft and springy — i love that.

8. Molly Says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 10:08 am

hahahaha…your sweetness and sense of humour hasnt changed a bit:)
    A BIG THANK YOU…I know where I’m going this weekend:)

9. Trude Says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I loved Descanso! Keep meaning to get back up there. They don’t have the museums that the Huntington does but if you want gorgeous gardens, its a great deal. Plus, how adorable is the tiny kid’s train?

10. Delphine Says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 2:54 am

this is making me miss summer so much <3

11. ~>O<~ Says:

April 4th, 2013 at 8:03 am

[...] wishing i was here today…. descanco gardens from kate miss [...]