Weekly Music: Phosphorescent + Devendra

March 27th, 2013

Two albums on rotate this week that are in a similar vein:

The new Phosphorescent album, Muchacho. I love the opening song, “Sun, Arise.”

I’ve always been just a fringe Devendra Banhart fan, but his new album, Mala, really hits the spot for me. I’m obsessed.

9 Responses to “Weekly Music: Phosphorescent + Devendra”

1. Ashely Says:

March 27th, 2013 at 9:22 am

SAME!

2. indreams Says:

March 28th, 2013 at 11:36 am

love the phosphorescent! but the link only streams the first 30 seconds of the song…! (luckily i’ve heard it a couple of times on songza, so i don’t have to go crazy trying to see if i like it, haha.)

Kate Reply:

oh weird, I didn’t notice that!

indreams Reply:

so annoying! i mean, i get it, because of the copyright to the music, but we’re trying to share here! i mean, does anyone actually go to youtube to get their video on anymore? haha.

anyway. i also forgot i wanted to see if you knew about the band ms mr…they are pretty magical. (check out ‘bones’ – which apparently was the trailer music for game of thrones? – or ‘dark doo wop’…both are gorgeous.)

3. Kim Says:

March 29th, 2013 at 11:39 pm

So random, I was just listening to the Phosphorescent album on a day trip last Sunday and, like a perv, spent my time in the backseat counting the nipples on the album art.

And I was a huge Devendra fan once upon a time, but fell out of the loop — so happy to hear this tune!

4. Jo Bell Says:

March 30th, 2013 at 2:04 am

Lovely choices, I’ve been listening to the Phosphorescent album for a couple of weeks and keep going back to it. Thanks for sharing!

5. Carrie Says:

March 30th, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I’ve followed your blog for a while and we have similar music taste. (I saw Here We Go Magic in concert – they are awesome…and surprised myself and actually bought the new Devendra Banhart album after I heard it stream on NPR. Anyway, I just heard this song and thought you might like it – the singer reminds me a little of you!:

Kate Reply:

Funny, I know Ducktails a bit but didn’t think they had a female singer, but she’s just featured vocals from another band on that song – I like it!

6. Inge Says:

April 1st, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I love Phosphorescent! I’m addicted to Song for Zula.