Summer Salads

I am very very picky about salads and have been experimenting lately with finding ones I like. Maybe they aren’t the healthiest on earth, but they’re not a caesar salad or involve ranch dressing (shout out to my suburban childhood) and are fresh and simple, so that’s what matters most to me. Here are two we’ve been really loving lately. If you notice a peach theme lately it’s because it’s my favorite fruit on earth and SUMMER I LOVE YOU and your peaches.

Goat Cheese Peach Salad
Greens – I prefer mache, but it’s hard to find, so a spring mix or arugula work fine instead
Soft goat cheese – plain or herbed
2-3 peaches, sliced – any kind will do. I’ve also made this salad with plums and apples instead and it was great
Juice of 1 lemon

Mix the goat cheese with lemon juice. The amount isn’t exact – you want to make a dressing that is somewhat thick and tastes good to you – everyone has a different love of the tartness of lemons. Once you get it to a consistency and taste you like, pour/scoop a little onto your greens and toss to coat – adding more as needed. Add your peaches and gently mix.

Boom, done. SO GOOD.

Peach, Cucumber and Thyme Salad
adapted from a recipe found in the July issue of Real Simple
2 peaches, sliced
2 small cucumbers, peeled and sliced (I used about 4 Persian cucumbers)
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
a splash of olive oil
A few dashes of salt and pepper

Put your peaches, cucumbers and shallot in a medium bowl, then your other ingredients in a small bowl and whisk. Add the liquid to the medium bowl to taste and toss. I made it while cooking dinner (so good with grilled salmon!) and put it in the fridge, which cooled everything nicely.

Ok, let’s hear your favorites lately!

Comments

Mmmm. I have peaches & a cucumber! This is meant to be! But now that you mention salmon, that sounds really good too. It maaaaay be worth a quick trip to the grocery store. ;) Thanks for sharing– I love salads during the summer!

2. angela says

2 faves this summer:

romaine, cherry tomatoes, feta, pepitas, and pepper.
    &
    romaine, watermelon, cherry tomatoes, feta, sliced almonds, and pepper.

if we use dressing, we pick either italian or just plain olive oil and vinegar.

3. grey_nyc says

i’ve been making this dressing:

1/2 avocado scooped out
    juice from half a lemon
    2 scallions chopped
    1 tsp honey
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/3 cup olive oil
    pepper to taste

mash it all up with a fork or spoon.
    i’ve been putting it on kale.

• ann says

yum! that sounds delectable. how long do you think this salad dressing would keep? i like to make larger batches and use it throughout the work week.

4. MFree says

That first salad I will definitely have to try. We’ve been eating a lot of mango pecan and arugula salads with a little honey dressing.

5. Hai Yen says

I just made a fresh corn salad from a Better Homes and Garden recipe and oh my, it was amazing! It tastes like the essence of summer rolled into a colorful, delicious dish you can eat. Lots of different veggies, textures, colors, and flavors. I’ll definitely be making it many times again this summer.

totally all about kale. my trick to making it less tough to eat is to wash it, chop it, and while it’s still wet, toss some salt on and leave it for ~5 minutes, to soften the leaves. (plus, then you don’t have to add salt to your dressing.)

this is a salad i could eat for the rest of my life, almost every meal:

kale (4-5 leaves, de-stemmed + chopped roughly)
    avocado, chopped
    grape tomatoes, sliced in half (it releases their flavour more into the salad)
    celery, chopped
    cucumber, chopped
    green onions, diced
    cheese, cubed
    ham, sliced into bits
    hard-boiled egg (i do 2), sliced into rounds

topped with ~2 tbsp good olive oil, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, salt, and tonnes of fresh-ground pepper (= key to a good salad dressing!). yum!

7. katy says

simple, simple salad—fresh arugala, one grapefruit (cut into bits) , almond slices. Toss with a balsamic vinegrette. :) So good!

I had to leave a note about this as I just ate this at my local bar here in Philadelphia. Only differences: grilled peaches and added walnuts. Also no dressing (but that’s a me thing)

So tasty :) Yours looks delicious!