The Best Songs of 2013

December 31st, 2013

FMFY-BestSongsof2013

‘Twas an excellent year for music, and this list is a doozy. I made a Spotify and Rdio playlist in hopes that those who can’t access Spotify might be able to listen as I didn’t have the means to make it available to download. So I apologize if you can’t access the embedded playlists at the bottom of this post!

I noticed a running theme of this being an overall more mellow list than years past – not sure if it was just my mood or music in general? And much like last year, it was a lot about singular songs for me this year – some of these songs were on albums I really didn’t love overall, but absolutely loved that particular song. If I had to pick my top five albums for the year, I’d say this: Fiona Apple – The Idler Wheel, James Blake – Overgrown, Rhye – Woman, Kurt Vile – Wakin On A Pretty Daze, Jenny O. – Automechanic.

This list is in no particular order, enjoy!

Fiona Apple – Every Single Night
Kurt Vile – Wakin on a Pretty Day
Au Revoir Simone – Somebody Who
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. – War Zone
Arcade Fire – Reflektor
Janelle Monáe – Givin Em What They Love [feat. Prince]
Nine Inch Nails – Copy of a
Superhumanoids – So Strange
Psapp – Wet Salt
Cate le Bon – Are You With Me Now?
Jenny O. – Get Lost
Camera Obscura – This Is Love (Feels Alright)
Colette – When the Music’s Loud
Kanye West – Blood On The Leaves
Pickwick – Lady Luck (feat. Sharon Van Etten)
Big Black Delta – Love You This Summer
Alpine – Hands
Ducktails – The Flower Lane
Iron And Wine – Low Light Buddy of Mine
James Blake – Retrograde
Low – Plastic Cup
Phosphorescent – Song For Zula
Devendra Banhart – Für Hildegard von Bingen
Rhye – The Fall
Local Natives – Breakers
Toro Y Moi – Harm In Change
The Knife – A Tooth for an Eye
David Bowie – The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
Neko Case – Night Still Comes
Of Montreal – Obsidian Currents
Mutual Benefit – Strong River
Broken Bells – Holding On for Life
AOP feat. Sophia Knapp – The Beggar
David Lynch & Lykke Li – I’m Waiting Here – Bonus Track
Braids – Hossak
Midlake – The Old And The Young
Bonzie – Convert
Andrew Bird – Ethio Invention no. 1

Spotify:

Rdio:

Thank you all so much for supporting my weekly music posts! I know I may not always share the most unique music finds, but being told I cheered someone up or made their day with sharing a song they loved really makes me so happy. It’s the one reoccurring feature I’ve stuck with for that reason and my love and need for music in my life.

Next I’ll be sharing my favorite photos of 2013! And then later, some reflecting and future goals.

9 Responses to “The Best Songs of 2013”

1. Christine Says:

January 1st, 2014 at 11:27 am

I LOVE your music posts. Thanks for taking the time to do this !

2. ellie Says:

January 2nd, 2014 at 8:33 am

Your music posts are what I come here for! They’re so great. Thank you, and happy new year.

3. indreams Says:

January 2nd, 2014 at 7:13 pm

i just told you this on IG, but oh MAN am i happy you introduced me to big black delta! new favourite band for the first time in FOREVER! hooray!

moving along, i’m always excited when you post a music post…a lot of what migrates its way up to canada isn’t always the best of the best, if you know what i mean. so it’s great to have someone with such a wide range of musical taste to suggest bands that are new, or even post about albums coming out soon that i didn’t know about (the war against drugs, for example)…so i can at least keep expanding knowledge + sharing it with others. please don’t feel like you’re just reiterating what someone else has already extolled – i think you have excellent taste, and weeding through the crap to find a gem is something that’s always appreciated. ;)

ok! i’m done with my keep-on-keepin-on speech. related to music, there’s an ottawa band called silkken laumann that just released a full-length album (their first? i can’t remember) that i’m really loving so far. (well, it was just released yesterday, so i’ve only had a few listens!) you can download the whole album for free off their site (always a plus): http://www.silkkenlaumann.com. they have a pretty lcd soundsystem-type sound, as it’s dancey and fun and filled with handclaps, but there’s a bit of sweet sadness to it, too. lemme know if you like it….!

Kate Reply:

I always so appreciate your support and comments, girl! They keep me going:) I also just remembered you told me there was a new Frankie Rose album I didn’t ever remember to check out, so going to listen to this and that, thank you!!

indreams Reply:

haha, no worries – i always love your musical taste! :) as for the frankie rose album – omigosh, it’s amazing. ‘heaven’ just kills me, and the cover of ‘street of dreams’ has me rediscovering my love of cheesy goth bands (the damned, in this case). she always gets it so right…i’ve been playing the album non-stop, pretty much! i can’t wait for her to tour again, i’m so there, haha! (have you seen her live?)

4. Erin Says:

January 6th, 2014 at 10:28 am

Gotta echo that I love these music posts. We have similar taste, so it makes discovering new music so easy. Thanks Kate!

5. Amy Says:

January 7th, 2014 at 9:35 am

Thank you for putting the list onto Rdio! I have been listening to it on repeat. Our tastes are similar, so it’s fun to listen to the gems that you found throughout the year.

6. Mfree Says:

January 10th, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Love your music lists, thanks for sharing. I wanted to share Alice Boman with you as thought you might like her. ‘Waiting’ is crazy good.

7. Jodi @ underamexicansky Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:10 am

Thanks for your music picks of 2013. I am trying to expand my music palate so will work my way through your picks and hopefully find more must-have-more albums for my collection. They are not new but I am enjoying the Maccabees, Given to the Wild at the moment. I love the way music forms the soundtrack to memories. Thanks for your suggestions