I would like to brain dump, if you don’t mind. Have you ever been away from a friend of family member for so long without talking that you don’t even know where to begin to catch up, so you just drift away even more? That’s how I feel about this blog. Just popping in and saying something personal feels disjointed as it’s been so long. So I’ll just dive. Dump. Whatever.
- LA is amazing. California is amazing. I love living here and when people ask me if we’ll stay, my heart says yes. Looking at the weather forecast for majority of the rest of the country is a key factor. I. Need. Sunshine. And warmth. Ask me again in August.
- We’re planning our wedding, finally. Save the dates are going out soon. Things are rolling. We’re getting married at a summer camp in the San Bernardino Mountains on September 28th. The plan looped and looped and looped until we ended up back where we originally started. It’s going to be a labor of love involving the talents of so many of our dear friends, which is what keeps me from losing my mind as I hate a lot of planning this. I have no plans to share many details here, but I will just say that it’s exactly what we want and a lot of our family doesn’t quite get it, but we don’t really care. Ask me again in August.
- Freelancing has been testing me lately. One thing that keeps me afloat is a retainer client I do a specific amount of design work for a month, and they recently decided to hire someone fulltime, which I had no interest in, so I’m losing that client soon. There was a week of a cycle that went like this: panic, sadness, job searching, realizing that all the jobs suck, realizing I will be ok, realizing I will be better than ok, realizing I am a rockstar, realizing I can cut my budget in half, realizing how much money I waste, realizing maybe I don’t know what the f I’m doing, job searching, sadness, panic, etc. But then something switched in me and I now have a fire lit under my ass – turning my attention to my entrepreneurial spirit and the ways that I can make not just the best of this situation, but make it a better situation. So far it’s going awesome. Ask me again next week.
- I went on a very impromptu 30 hour trip to Joshua Tree this weekend, packed in a car with four other ladies – dear friends and new friends. It was healing, re-energizing, and so beautiful (my Instagram pictured above). I took many rolls of film and hope to share them in the coming weeks. For now, Laure shared some of the magic. Again, California, damn.
- I will end this with a shout out to things that are really awesome online right now that you should check out:
- A short and simple, beautiful post from Vic. It gave me goosebumps.
- My friend Erin of Cotton & Flax (one of my portrait ladies) has a beautiful limited edition tea towel at Pennyweight Goods.
- One of my favorite Hairpin posts ever, a fascinating interview with a virgin who mostly identifies as asexual. I stayed up forever last night reading all the comments. Hairpin comments are my favorite.
- You can listen to the Empire Records soundtrack on Spotify. My day was made yesterday upon discovering that. So many memories it almost makes me nauseated to listen to it.
- I can’t get into the new David Bowie songs on a musical level, but the new music video with Tilda Swinton is really something else. A dream?
I hope your week is full of sunshine, be it metaphorical or real.